Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikosu Oyama
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the fall we'll start a mathematics course that focuses on the mathematics of boargames (and to bring popularity also to poker). What printable games that would be preferably playable with just pencil would suit the course?

The idea is to have different areas of mathematics covered with different boardgames. It is supposed to be an introductory course to university mathematics for the high school students.

Thank you for your assistance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a PNP, but free nonetheless: Sprouts. It's a game involving graph theory.

You can also use a regular deck of cards to play 24 Game.

When you find a game using algebraic geometry, ergodic theory, or calculus on manifolds, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
native_son wrote:
When you find a game using algebraic geometry, ergodic theory, or calculus on manifolds, please let me know.

How about this - flip up a bunch of cards from a deck with numbers on them. The numbers can be used as coefficients or powers of x (you can have as many x's) as you want. Then flip up another card with some sort of property of a variety. First one to use the cards (a la the 24 game) to define a hypersurface with the correct property wins. Eh? Eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fuga
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A friend of mine is coach of the Australian maths olympic team, and taught his students the game Deduce or Die and said that they enjoyed it very much, can be played with a normal pack of cards also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
native_son wrote:

How about this - flip up a bunch of cards from a deck with numbers on them. The numbers can be used as coefficients or powers of x (you can have as many x's) as you want. Then flip up another card with some sort of property of a variety. First one to use the cards (a la the 24 game) to define a hypersurface with the correct property wins. Eh? Eh?

Maybe a deduction game where each player knows the sections of a sheaf (on some variety) on several open sets and through card swapping and question asking a la Mystery of the Abbey players compete to be the first to discover the sheaf's global sections?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikosu Oyama
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also it is preferable that there is a mathematical text available for the game. Like in Winning ways for your mathematical plays.

Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
coolpapa wrote:
native_son wrote:

Maybe a deduction game where each player knows the sections of a sheaf (on some variety) on several open sets and through card swapping and question asking a la Mystery of the Abbey players compete to be the first to discover the sheaf's global sections?

I love it. I'm going to re-theme Sleuth or something to turn it into a math deduction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies - let me contribute something useful to the discussion as well. I've been giving serious thought to starting certain math classes I teach with a game of Zendo - I've often asked my students to think inductively and they just have no idea what I'm asking them. So I want to give them some preparation for thinking that way and Zendo seems like as good a place to start as any. Something home-made and Zendo-like could easily be done. Maybe Lego pieces or something like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
intheclear wrote:
A friend of mine is coach of the Australian maths olympic team, and taught his students the game Deduce or Die and said that they enjoyed it very much, can be played with a normal pack of cards also.

This is an excellent logical thinking /.puzzle / thinking about all the cases game - I'll add my recommendation. It can be played with a normal deck of cards, so give it a go! (Definitely start with the 'easy' version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.