Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing with my re-introduction to SL, and still playing through the 1st scenario - The Guards Counterattack - I have come across another situation which I'm unsure of.

It relates to 14.6 in section 14: RALLYING OF BROKEN UNITS

14.6 Any unit attempting to rally which has been fired on by 1 or more firepower factors since the preceeding Rally Phase (regardless of the effect of that attack) must roll "Desperation Morale" to rally during that player turn ...

My question is:

"Does that mean that any unit fired upon which breaks as the result of said fire is included in the above rule? (i.e. A unit fired on in the Prep Fire Phase - and which suffers a Morale Check which causes it to break - therefore has a DM counter placed on it?)"

I ask this question because 14.6 leads me to wonder wether it applies to "broken" units which are fired upon since the preceeding rally phase ... or "any units" which are fired on since the preceeding rally phase ... if it's the latter, then any unit fired upon - and which breaks as a result of such fire - would seem to warrant a DM marker being placed upon it immediately.

Have I interpreted this rule correctly? As in my last post, any clarification/advice will be gratefully received ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bryer
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the rule means is that any broken unit (it doesnt have to be DM as it very qell could have failed it's rally) that is fired on is automatically back to DM even if no damage was done.

In practicality it means you need to pull your broken units off the line to rally them or you will have a very hard time getting them back into the fight.

Many people keep a leader or 2 placed out of the LOS yet easily reached so as to avoid the consequences of this very rule.

I hope that helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris,

My rationale for understanding the rule is as follows:

"Since the Rally Phase occurs at the very start of any given player turn, any subsequent fire on an UNBROKEN unit which causes it to break during the current player turn (be it Prep Fire, Defensive Fire, Advancing Fire) automatically causes a DM marker to be placed on said affected counter ... it doesn't matter wether the unit was broken or unbroken during the Rally Phase of the current player turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. Chris is right. The wording made this part hard for me too.

In effect: you have a (any) good order unit. It's fired upon. It misses it's morale check so is broken and a DM marker (-4) is placed on top. Next rally phase (if a leader is in the hex) you try to rally, but chances are high this won't succeed, due to the -4. End rally phase: remove all DM markers.
Next phase. Any broken unit which is fired upon receives a new DM marker. So as said, best way to rally is to rout to a place that's save from enemy fire.

Hope this helps (too)

happy gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you.

I appreciate your comments on this post ... now I can resume the scenario knowing I have read the rules correctly.

When I originally played SL many moons ago, there wasn't any opportunity to seek clarification such as BGG ... the multiple questions I had way back then caused me to shelve it.

I'm sure I speak for many game players - whatever their games of choice - when I voice my appreciation for guys like you who help us newcomers with our struggles with rules interpretations.

Cheers you guys!
:thumbsup:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Woyak
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Everybody POLKA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In ASL, to DM an already broken unit, it must be fired upon with at least 1FP AND able to cause a NMC taking cowering and any modifiers into effect. I think it's the same in SL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Kegley
United States
Pulaski
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. The rule above is correct; ASL made it more specific. If a unit is "fired upon" it receives a DM counter if broken.

Hoss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We were trying to get this correct last night, as we played SL for the first time in 15 years. So, let me see if I have this correct by explaining two scenarios.

Scenario A
1. It is the Russian phase of Turn 1, Russian Stack 1 (RS1) prep fires on German Stack A (GSA) causing a morale check which GSA fails and breaks.
2. Russian Stack 2 (RS2) then prep fires on GSA but causes no morale check.
3. During the Rally Phase of the German portion of Turn 1 GSA fails to rally.

Scenario B
1. It is the Russian portion of Turn 1, Russian Squad 1 (RS1) prep fires on German Squad A (GSA) causing a morale check which GSA fails and breaks.
2. Russian Squad 2 (RS2) then prep fires on GSA but causes no morale check.
3. During the Rally Phase of the German portion of Turn 1 GSA fails to rally.
4. Germans do whatever during their portion of Turn 1, but nominally the situation of RS1, GSA and RS2 remains unchanged.
5. During the Rally Phase of the Russian portion of Turn 2 GSA fails to rally.
6. RS1 fires on GSA but causes no morale check.
7. During the Rally Phase of the German portion of Turn 2 GSA fails to rally.

So based on my understanding of the above discussion, the following would be how the rules work.

In Scenario A, GSA would receive a DM chit during Step 2 and the DM chit would be removed after Step 3.

In Scenario B, GSA would receive a DM chit during Step 2 and the DM chit would be removed after Step 3. GSA would receive a DM chit again during Step 6 and the DM chit would be removed after Step 7.

This is much harsher than we interpreted the rules. We played that GSA would not receive a DM chit until Step 6 under Scenario B (i.e., GSA had to spend an entire turn broken and then be fired on again), but now I see this was incorrect.

Thanks for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Hoffman

Huntsville
Alabama
msg tools
No, the DM chit would be placed after step 1 in both instances. When a unit first breaks a DM counter is placed on top of it. After the rally phase of the following player turn it is removed in all instances. If the broken unit is subsequently fired on after the DM counter is removed, another is placed on top of it until the following rally phase. In other words, if a unit breaks and keeps getting shot at, it will continue to stay under DM. The only good thing is that DM counters are ALWAYS removed at the end of the rally phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.