Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, my 'at home' game time is being dominated by the Settlers of Catan Card Game. I personally am beginning to find it somewhat dreary and repetitive after half a dozen plays or so, but my wife is apparently fascinated by the city-building aspect.

So, really, it's recommendations please for what I can get next to keep her city-building cravings fulfilled and - more importantly - prevent me from going into a dice-rolling trace. We already have Race For The Galaxy, for which I am trying to persuade her is well worthwhile a battle through the manual, but she's no fan of a sci-fi theme. What next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Before I read race for the galaxy, I was going to mention San Juan.

Man... my checks from Rio Grande and Asmodee should be huge this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played San Juan, but I gather it is just RftG with a different theme and artwork.

And good luck with the cheque - I think Leo Colovini must owe me a fortune...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb

How about Alhambra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb

Or Master Builder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
I've not played San Juan, but I gather it is just RftG with a different theme and artwork.

They share similar mechanics but San Juan is much easier. Not so many rules or icons. It also has a nice 'building' feel to it that she might appreciate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:

San Juan is simpler and the role selection works differently. If the theme and complexity are problems vis a vis RftG, San Juan might be a good fit (and will also make RftG easier to teach).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Also

Saint Petersburg

of course there's also

Puerto Rico (2p variant is good)
Agricola (great 2p)
Caylus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have Agricola - has your wife played it? That's what satisfies the building urge in me. You could also try Arkadia - you build buildings to create a town, and build a central castle vertically. The same castle pieces are used in Torres. If you have three or more players, you could try Princes of Florence. Not sure if it would satisfy her, but there's also Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband is big fan of the Catan Card Game, and I also find myself looking for similar games. Do you have the expansions? They might spice the game up for you, and give you both some variety.

I wouldn't recommend San Juan, as it's lighter than the Catan Card Game, and much less immersive. It just doesn't scratch the same itch, in our opinion. Instead I suggest Glory to Rome, La Città, or maybe Elasund: The First City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sutanto Joji
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
try Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. It's a civ building game and me and my girlfriend really enjoy our time when we build our civilization. You really reap what you sow. It's a good 2 players game and scales well to 4 players. If you want a more friendly game of civ, just remove the raid and war event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert "Smitty" Smith
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves my gaming and the friends I have through it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
ousgg wrote:

San Juan is simpler and the role selection works differently. If the theme and complexity are problems vis a vis RftG, San Juan might be a good fit (and will also make RftG easier to teach).

Bippi, cuzzle and Chris are right: San Juan is excellent, easier than RftG, has a more palatable theme and is all about the building.

Plus after 60-some plays in 2 years, my Shenomad still loves it, and so do I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes the building of Catan Card Game, you might also try San Juan (as has been recommended) and Kingsburg. Both are fairly easy to learn, and are filled with little buildings that confer various powers upon you.

I also love Glory to Rome, although experience has shown me that most non-gamers do not comprehend or enjoy it during the first play. (If your wife is willing to take time to learn a game though, it has fantastic replayability and plays faster than Catan. Also, it's much better. And it's cheap.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you own Blue Moon and rate it fairly high. Not sure how your wife rates it, though.

But I would suggest Blue Moon City.

My wife and I really enjoy it as a two player game. I recently taught it to another couple who enjoyed Blue Moon and they really liked it. Enough so much that they were considering buying their own copy.

It works well as a 2player game and scales nicely to 4, but it does become a bit different strategically.

My wife and I bought this without ever having seen let alone played Blue Moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Muldoon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things that might soften her up for Race:
Dominion, which is about building your fiefdom in a similar mythic middle-ages type of setting, but relies heavily on the interaction of cards to create little economic engines, which you also will set up in Race.

Thematically, you could try Spacefarers of Catan, which will be somewhat familiar in concept, but traveling at warp speed in the deep recesses of space.

But let's be honest, there's not a lot you can do to prepare someone for learning Race. It's awesomeness has to be experienced, and after only 5 or 6 plays, you will actually understand what is happening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone. Good solid suggestions.

She is currently throwing a tantrum at Agricola because she loses at it all the time. Perhaps I ought to throw a couple of games deliberately...

And then, possibly, Dominion to go on my birthday present list and make a good effort at getting to grips with RftG over the summer.

Any less well-known games springing to mind? I have a soft spot for the obscure ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife beats me all the time at Race for the Galaxy.

And she is most definitely not a SF fan, but she doesn't mind this. To be honest, you just need to understand the signs on the cards and you're ready to go. The game is easy enough, and you can ignore the pics on the cards. they're colorful and nice, and that's all there's to it. Sure when you're bored or waiting you'll check it out, but hey, it's not that big of a deal, SF-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Any less well-known games springing to mind? I have a soft spot for the obscure ones.

Biblios - best card game of 2008
Die Fugger
Kupferkessel Co.
Attika - scratch the 2P building itch, highly recommended as a couples' game.
Genji - what woman could resist wooing japanese princesses with poetry? Great game, to boot, and plays 2P-6P!
Oltre Mare - trading, racing, and a healthy dose of screwage
Santorini - abstract, but as build-y as they come
Taluva - gorgeous build-y, vicious
Thurn and Taxis - nice 'big' game for 2-4P. build post offices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting selection. We both enjoy Thurn & Taxis, but I'll check out the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert "Smitty" Smith
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8 1/2 years later my wife put her foot down about gaming...and said your hours of work are keeping you from any gaming so maybe it's simply time to become a Part-Time Professor so you can enjoy your games.

And so we did!

Smitty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ousgg wrote:
Currently, my 'at home' game time is being dominated by the Settlers of Catan Card Game. I personally am beginning to find it somewhat dreary and repetitive after half a dozen plays or so, but my wife is apparently fascinated by the city-building aspect.

So, really, it's recommendations please for what I can get next to keep her city-building cravings fulfilled and - more importantly - prevent me from going into a dice-rolling trace. We already have Race For The Galaxy, for which I am trying to persuade her is well worthwhile a battle through the manual, but she's no fan of a sci-fi theme. What next?

If city building is her thing then Suburbia may be a good move its simple and its all city building
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Above and Below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuela
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Let's all have a deep, think-y game... with theme!
badge
Anesthetist by day; gamer by night...
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Between Two Cities? Quadropolis? Perhaps 7 Wonders Duel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
How about The City. It's not available in English but paste ups are around, the game is designed by Tom Lehman and regarded as the predecessor to RftG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.