Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have two computers and the desktop is probably around 10 years old... so its going a bit slower than normal.

I was wondering if and how one would strip a computer* down to just the OP and a web browser. (perhaps a program like GIMP2 as well)

Is there an easy way to do this or just go to remove programs and hack away?

*In other news I web searched strip a computer and unholy things came up.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Reformat and partition the hard drive.
2) Re-install the operating system from scratch.
3) Install the 1 or 2 things you really use.
4) ???
5) Profit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polar or grizzly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
WereBear or OwlBear? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb

just

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

just

-DK

Not a word more. Kill it and then back to the electrodes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
My wife and I have two computers and the desktop is probably around 10 years old... so its going a bit slower than normal.

I was wondering if and how one would strip a computer* down to just the OP and a web browser. (perhaps a program like GIMP2 as well)

You should take a look at Ubuntu, you can download a livecd (or order one) and try it out on your hardware without upsetting your current setup to see if you like it (and to see if its compatible of course). Its a linux distro, but very clean windows-like interface, has Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, GIMP, Inkscape, etc, etc. and will run much faster on far less hardware than XP requires.

I've got it loaded up on an old HP Pavillion ze4900 laptop, and it works great. I let the kids use it to muck around on the web when I've got the PC busy myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
too_close wrote:
On the other hand, if you have your heart set on Windows, check this site to strip Windows down to bear necessities. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

Also, check out nLite. It's a program that will help you install just the parts of Windows XP that you'll use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GROGnads wrote:
WereBear or OwlBear? whistle
Maksimov wrote:
I believe it's BugBear.
That may very well could 'be' on this particular ONE, while I happen to also KNOW for a 'fact' that there is also a "Jack-'O'-Lantern-Bear" -(or "Jack-'O'-Bear"), since I'd given the 'miniature' of THAT to my nephew! It has a distinctive and prominent 'pumpkin-head' from whence it derives this 'moniker'!}r
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.