Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike and I #8: Sudden Death - ASL Scenario A108 (7, 14 May 2009)

As always, comments, criticisms, questions are welcome. Please, let me know what I can make these better.

After failure of Mike’s "personal morale check" in our last game, A55 Retribution, we just decided to give this one a whirl the same night. This is a crazy scenario playing on half a board of CRAP terrain in Norway, 1940. 8.5 French 458 squads, 3 leaders, some MGs, a little INF gun and 3 DCs have to take out a pillbox across a fordable river. Well, that or either side must get 5 CVP more than they lost. I was the brave Germans trying to hold off these Frenchies with 3x 447s, 4x 436s, 2 leaders, hero, MGs, pillbox, a couple of trenches and some foxholes. One "benefit" is that I got to set up on some of my guys on either side of the river, in an effort to slow down the French onslaught.

I set up 5 stacks of 2x? and one 436 over on the other side along the ridge. I thought that I could sacrifice one of those guys if needed, but he should have been able to either block retreat, encircle someone or do something! Mike set up and came up the road and on the right side over turns 1 and 2. I tried to withdraw my ?s as much as possible, but Mike finally removed all of them...except the last one on the my left side. This one, of course, was my real guy. Hee hee. He’ll figure in later.

On turn three, Mike moves his 9-1 and a 458 with a dm MMG over the hill. They get pounded by the German 9-1 and 2x 447s both with MMGs in the G6 Trench. Only the 458 breaks, but that French MMG is out for a while because of it.

Mike then moves an 8-1, crew and the 37 INF guy into L3 ... you know ... the open ground space ... right next to my last ? ... or would that be ... yep, it is ... a "real guy"! Well, sort of. He’s a conscript. ANYWAY, you know what happens. The whole stack is killed. Unfortunately, the 3 rolled (2KIA) and the death cries of Lt Fufu awakens the French sniper, Pierre, who decides this would be a good time to kill the German 9-1. GRRRRR!

Turn 4 saw Mike advance the frenchies down the hill and try to get some of them across the river. My big fluff here, as I thought it was unfordable...D@MN! On the plus side a broken HS in H3 dies from failure to rout. Unfortunately, that was the last of Mike’s losses.

In turn 5, Pierre, sniper boy, goes for another attack, killing the German Hero and pinning 2 more squads. Rolled the same for three out of four...WHOOOOOOO. This is followed by a shot from a 436 in the pillbox (P5) to a 248 with DC in I4. After the shot, there is a fanatic 248 with DC and hero in the space! Mike is starting to swing around the German right flank.

On turn 6, that cowardly fanatic HS from I4 breaks in H4 as it tries to cross the bridge. Another German unit bites the dust. The remaining broken HS in K3 self-rallies, battle hardens to a 247 and creates a 7-0 leader (!) but subsequently dies in cc to the French giving the French 7 CVP to the German 4 CVP. (This put him over the top for casualties. I now had to kill some more of him not to lose.) Needless to say, my attempts failed on the remaining half turn, and his turn to boot. He did break his MMG though! So, with the bonus of 2VP for whoever owned the pillbox, I ended up with 6 VP to his 7 VP. A French Victory. This makes it 4 to 4 so far with Mike.

I had one failed sniper, while Mike had one 1 and one 2 on six attempts. Not bad.

Germans are in Yellow. C = concealed conscript; P = pillbox CA G4/G5; T = trenches; circle = majority of setup. Pink ?s are the dummies. French are in Blue. Circle = majority of setup. The big red X was the slaughtered French 9-1 & crew. :-) The Red Y is the other French loss, HS failure to rout.

THE GOOD (WHAT WE DID WELL) -
*I lulled Mike into thinking that all of the guys on the other side of the river were dummies.

*Mike moved methodically and didn’t give me much opportunity to schwack him by not having multiple units stacked.

THE BAD (WHAT WE NEED TO WORK ON) -
*On the attack, Mike alternates between slowness in the beginning and speedily moving to cover ground on the last few turns. He needs to be a big more aggressive early and more methodical later.

*I need to freakin’ know the VCs, conditions and terrain in play.

*Mike has to control his "personal morale". One bad roll, bad series of rolls or bad event can really set him back, distracting him.

*Of course, both of us could use more reading of the rules and more playing to gain experience...

THE AWESOME -
*The surprise and slaughter of the French in L3. Awesome!

*The French sniper drills one through the head of the German command, then kills the hero and pins two squads pretty much in a row. Then he goes for a croissant and some coffee.

QUESTIONS -
Ok, of course, I have some questions.

1. How much does it cost to move from a stream -1 to a level 1 hill? Is that even possible or is this scaling?

2. I should know this, but was having a "brain fart". A unit moves from an OG space into another one adjacent with a foxhole. If moving into the foxhole, can one shoot at him without the foxhole modifier (FFMO -1) OR is this considered 2mp lumped together? For routing it is together not sure about moving.

2a. What about if one was moving out of the foxhole to an adjacent woods hex? Can someone shoot once or twice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brock
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:

QUESTIONS -
Ok, of course, I have some questions.

1. How much does it cost to move from a stream -1 to a level 1 hill? Is that even possible or is this scaling?

It's not scaling, but it is an Abrupt Elevation Change (B10.5). It costs the same as the move from level 0, plus an extra 2 MF for each extra elevation the unit goes up. So if the hill is Open Ground, the total cost would be 4 MF; if the hill is Woods, it would be 6 MF.

Quote:
2. I should know this, but was having a "brain fart". A unit moves from an OG space into another one adjacent with a foxhole. If moving into the foxhole, can one shoot at him without the foxhole modifier (FFMO -1) OR is this considered 2mp lumped together? For routing it is together not sure about moving.

2a. What about if one was moving out of the foxhole to an adjacent woods hex? Can someone shoot once or twice?

It's not lumped together... so in the first case, there's one chance to shoot at him using FFMO as he enters the hex (for 1 MF). Then he spends the second MF to go under the foxhole and is no longer FFMO.

In the second, there's one chance to shoot at him using FFMO in the foxhole hex after he spends the 1 MF to leave the foxhole. Any later shots would have to be at the woods hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.