Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally addicted to FtP right now, great game.

Just curious....

Do people have a preference for using event cards to increase the AA modifier or to increase the blockade level (or does it depend on how the game is going)?

The last few games I've played as the Union I've been using every opportunity to increase the AA modifier. I find a high AA modifier to be extremely dangerous for the rebs.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmid wrote:

Just curious....

Do people have a preference for using event cards to increase the AA modifier or to increase the blockade level (or does it depend on how the game is going)?

The last few games I've played as the Union I've been using every opportunity to increase the AA modifier. I find a high AA modifier to be extremely dangerous for the rebs.

Thoughts?

Glad to hear about a happy addiction. I will throw in the view that it depends. The blockade always has the chance of failure, but over the long haul it almost always pays off when played early in the game. On the other hand, if you play a very aggressive Union naval game, which few but you and I seem to favor the AA modifier can be very powerful as once a blockade zone is shut down it is 100% effective at stopping CSA SPs from arriving. You should bring this up over on Consimworld and see what the FTP crowd thinks.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, the Blockade strategy and the "shut down zones" strategy are, when used together, redundant. The Blockade strategy at a given level has an effectiveness that is proportional to the number of zones still open.

In the extreme case, if you were to shut down all four zones by closing all the ports, Blockade would be worthless. (Not that this is likely to happen.)

Hence, you want to avoid a strategy of some Blockade and some shutting down zones. Make an early decision about which of the two you are going to push and try to go with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Cosmid wrote:

Just curious....

I think blockade is usually better, but sometimes you have better opportunities with AA. AA is more effective, threatens also rivers, but requires much more cards (AA cards and the cards usen to operations). Was the answer vague enough?

Cosmid wrote:

Thoughts?

Join the AA cartel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The term AA cartel comes from here (this a couple of pages of posts):

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@791.Qqr6fEa7f0m.174@.ee6...

There was a board vs Mark Herman & James Pei match where board heated up by the same issue. You can read opinions for and against both choices from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riku Riekkinen wrote:
The term AA cartel comes from here (this a couple of pages of posts):

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@791.Qqr6fEa7f0m.174@.ee6...

There was a board vs Mark Herman & James Pei match where board heated up by the same issue. You can read opinions for and against both choices from there.

Thanks Riku!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.