Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall Neal
United States
Bakersfield
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Invariably, I play the Allies well until after the summer of '42 when I find myself facing entrenched German stacks along the Tula-Kursk-Don line.

What tips and tricks do you folks have for breaking that line without losing a substantial part of your army?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start whining to your allies about a starting second front? Aren't the Russians supposed to lose a substantial part of their army every so often?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Exactly. Just throw your men into the German meat grinder.

To me the problem is the opposite. It is virtually impossible to win with the Germans unless the Soviet player plays very badly. A simple "so so" effort usually result in a major allied victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ara Bulbulian
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree it seems the Russians are almost impossible to defeat. I took Moscow(t1) and the NE territories on Barbarossa. The Russian player just sat back in hvy fort in Stalingrad and has built up to a huge strength. The Germany army is just not big enough (ran out of units to build in 41. So now it's just a matter of time until Russia rolls back. Can't take Urals so the Russia player will always receive 20 or so WERPs?

IMO the German force pool is too limited. But, the statement about the allies being able to win even if they play so/so is very accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Harding
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
I've won on time as the Axis in a game where I never got past the Don and I've conquered Russia. 1944-45 hurts, but so it should. Overall I consider the Axis advantaged from the 1939 start. I've love to play those of you that think the Axis have no chance, I might learn something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Build up in '42 and don't attack until '43. The Mar/Apr '43 turn would be quite good as it would limit the German counter attacking potential (light Mud next turn yeah!) and can be combined with an invasion of Italy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.