Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
We got Gerry Palmer (gap10) to come over from St. Louis for a day of Combat Commander. With me, gap10, marcuswoot and Risdon, we would play four games. For our scenarios we chose the WCBC tournament scenarios which are available on the GMT Website, here: http://www.gmtgames.com/combatcomm/CC_WCBC-tourney-scenarios...

After three games, we had each played the other. Risdon and Gerry had both won two games and Marc and I one each. Therefore, we made the fourth round a playoff for first and second with Gerry and Ris, and Marc and I took the bottom rung.

Final Standings:
1st: Risdon
2nd: Gerry
3rd: Marc
4th: Me

Here is an overview of the games each round. I didn't take copious notes, so there are just the briefest highlights. The Scenarios have a basic premise and the rest of the setup is performed by Random Scenario Generator steps.

ROUND 1, SCENARIO T1
Italians versus French with Special Night Rules.

Game A
Me: Italians (Win-6VPs)
Gerry: French

We managed to get to a point where Gerry had 10 VPs worth of units ready to run off the board on my right and I had 12 VPs trying to leave down the middle, though my leader was broken. It came to Sudden Death at 7 and after two passes of the Initiative Card (for each board on the table, a large explosive shell!) my Italians clinched it.

Game B
Risdon: Italians (Win-13 VPs)
Marc: French

These were two companies facing off. The Surrender tracks on both sides were filling up. Some big melees helped decide the issue for this one.

ROUND 2, SCENARIO T2
Germans versus Russians on the hill only map.

Game A
Gerry: Germans (Win-0 VP + IC)
Risdon: Russians

This is the map with the solitary hill. There was wire everywhere. Gerry's Germans attacked and slowly managed to take the hill and get objectives. He drew a secret objective which was 5 VPs for Obj. 5. He managed to take it, and a Time Trigger brought Sudden Death and that Hidden Objective moved the VPs to 0, giving Gerry, the possessor of the shell, the win!

Game B
Marc: Germans (Win-26 VPs)
Me: Russians

I had a Russian Company rushing the Germans on the hill with a Bunker. The Russians get a "Charge" order in this scenario (similar to "Banzai" in CC: Pacific. My human wave crashed upon the rock of his hill. The Russians were cut to pieces and the VPs just kept piling up for the Germans. The game only lasted about 30 minutes and in that time we had EIGHT (8) Time Triggers. It ended on Sudden death with but a single Russian squad on the hill! It was a slaughter!

ROUND 3, SCENARIO T3
Americans versus Germans in a small town, both sides with 12 FP radios!

Game A
Gerry: Americans (Win-3 VPs)
Marc: Germans

American Paratroops vs. a Rifle Company. The Germans moved into the town. Some artillery was tossed back and forth. The Germans called in arty close to their own units. Marc rolled th attacks against the Germans. Then I pointed out that he needed to roll against the hex with Wire. That was the Time Trigger that brought it to an end after 2 passes of the shell.

Game B
Me: Americans
Risdon: Germans (Win-20 VPs)

This was probably the shortest game of CC we've every played. The Americans have one and the Germans two hexes they pick before the game begins to be automatic on target artillery hexes. It turns out I had a leader, two squads and two teams with two MMGs in the two woods hexes adjacent to his preplotted arty! It took two artillery requests to finish me off, followed by HMG fire from the German foxhole to blow away my units in the woods on my left. Desperate to do something, I moved the men on my right who were cut to shreds by HMG fire on my right. I surrendered with a full track of casualties in about 15 minutes or so! I just didn't even have one Advance or Recover to get away from the fire!

ROUND 4, SCENARIO T4
Commonwealth versus Germans on a hedge map. In both games, Objective 5 was worth 10! In both games it was an Indian Detachment defending against a German Company!

Game A
Risdon: Commonwealth (Win-26 VPs)
Gerry: Germans

This game was tough. Gerry managed to drive the CW out of Obj. 5 but they retook it. Risdon was only three away from surrendering for a long time. But it finally came to Sudden Death and Gerry couldn't keep it going even after passing the shell. He was one from surrendering himself and Risdon has 26 VPs. For the tournament win to Risdon!

Game B
Me: Commonwealth
Marc: Germans (Win-1 VP)

I managed to hold my own in the building (Objective 5) and kill off some units, routing several off the board. Then Marc had to draw and open objective and it added three more points to Objective 5. When he finally took it, that swung it to him by a few! (It would have been more but I killed several squads). By the time he burst through my minefield around the building, I just didn't have any more Fire Cards and he brought heavy fire to bear. With only one space on the surrender track, the leaders in the house called down arty and blew away one squad by doubling him with his attack (we played that optional rule) and that was it. While Marc had 1 VP still, it was a surrender victory for him!

Tournament and Game Notes

Our Mini Tournament was by no means scientific. We probably should have determined second place by VPs rather than order of games won but we had already agreed to it the way we did it.

The scenarios were well done (who designed them?) and gave interesting set ups while still allowing some RSG flexibility.

It was great to include Gerry in the tournament so that we could all play someone in addition to our usual selves as opponents. As is typical, we were all pretty tired out after four games. (That didn't stop us from teaching Gerry Friedrich and I am happy to say I won that game, making up in some small way for my CC tournament performance!)

We had everything from nail-biter endings to outright slaughters, ridiculous luck to examples of skillful and smart play. This little tournament was just a blast to play. I'm glad we had the opportunity for some great gaming, as always, with CC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! You created a nifty way to have your own tournament which is a great way to go amongst friends. Chad did very well in the design of these scenarios, and I just so happened to be in the WCBC tourney last year when it was 'live'.

What was interesting to hear, from you report, is that the Germans won ~both games~ when defending the hill against the onslaught of hordes and waves of Russians. *That* was the same experience at the Convention. Unfortunately I was leading the Russians that day up the hill, and only had some 11 points leading against some 9-10 German points.

We never touched the hill as our "onslaught" was all for naught, with nary enough men to consitute a 'wave'.

Again, well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
tyvek wrote:

What was interesting to hear, from you report, is that the Germans won ~both games~ when defending the hill against the onslaught of hordes and waves of Russians. *That* was the same experience at the Convention. Unfortunately I was leading the Russians that day up the hill, and only had some 11 points leading against some 9-10 German points.

I think I wasn't clear. In the game between Gerry and Risdon, the Russians were on the hill! The truth, is they didn't read the scenario special rules before they grabbed their OOBs and so the Germans were the attackers to the defending Russians and had to come through a sea of wire to try and take the hill. That game was the one that came down to Gerry getting the Secret Objective, taking it and then winning the game with the Initiative card tiebreaker.

Chad designed them? Makes sense. I guess folks got a preview of Pacific's Banzai charge in this scenario!

What was funny was how similar the last two games were, down to both of us drawing the 5=10VP chits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can never get enough CC! arrrh I really like CC Pacific!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:
Can never get enough CC! arrrh I really like CC Pacific!

Indeed. I just never get tired of it. And I'm still trying to learn how to play it WELL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.