10 Posts

Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dead Man's Stomp rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik W
United States
flag msg tools
I haven't been able to figure out what it means to automatically succeed on a combat check. Does that mean you succeed on combat but don't do any damage or take any damage? There are also some items, IIRC, that let you do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means exactly what it says, you automatically pass the combat check. For all intents and purposes it's as though you had rolled as many successes as you would need to defeat the monster, just without the rolling. Everything else is as normal (So no damage is taken, and then you take the monster trophy unless instructed otherwise).

In the case of Dead Man Stomp, you encounter the monster, make the horror check and then (Assuming you didn't go insane) spend a clue token instead of rolling your combat check in order to pass it completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Undead's suffer from dilution. And even then, most aren't that hard to begin with. Mummy and Wraith (total of 3 tokens in the cup) are generally the ones I cringe when I see on the board. Against those, Jim would be nice. Vampire is so-so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik W
United States
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This ability was a life saver for me during the scenarios. Usually Mikey McGlen was my monster killer, but a lot of those undead are physicall immune, so Culver comes in and stomps on their heads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K.
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there are Cultists to watch out for, if Glaaki is the Ancient One that's in play. They aren't really tough, but in that situation, they do still qualify for stomping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rat of Steel wrote:
Also, there are Cultists to watch out for, if Glaaki is the Ancient One that's in play. They aren't really tough, but in that situation, they do still qualify for stomping.

Hehe, if you're forced to use Clues to kill Cultists, I'd say you got bigger problems !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Rat of Steel wrote:

Hehe, if you're forced to use Clues to kill Cultists, I'd say you got bigger problems !
In one of the Arkham League scenarios, cultists were undead AND 2 or 3 toughness. So in that scenario Jim was better than usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember we once had the Rumour going that gave Cultists +2 toughness and an environment that gave Undead +1 toughness and so Glaaki Cultists were actually 4 toughness - much harder to kill than usual, even though they help you kill them (+1 on combat checks). It would be worth stomping those cultists, all right. We also treat Servants of Glaaki as undead (although they're not technically undead, the Glaaki card describes them as "undead servants"), so if your gaming group plays them as Undead as well, they're also a good target for a Stomping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dead Man's Stomp is also the best scenario in the main Call of Cthulhu book.

Just sayin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.