Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really excited to get this game printed out, but am finding it hard to locate some good blank dice or cubes to stick the stickers on to. I hate the idea of making paper dice, as I am sure one of my friends would get the urge and squish them!

Anyways, I am wondering where you got the 1" cubes in the picture, and also where is a good place to get dive of many a colour. An online store hint would be awesome.

Lastly, do the stickers work well over pips? I guess I could just find normal dice and stick 'em on. Do they hold well enough with the lack of surface contact in the pips?

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Try some places that are not obvious gamers places.
Have you tried hardware store, or woodcrafting store, or some construction store? Like Leroy Merlin or Praktiker or something? Wooden cubes are used often to construct stairs/wooden floor panels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the blank dice I use to make my fighters:

And these come from Koplow Games's catalog. You can find them on page 41 and more blank dice on page 47.

Depending on the strength of the labels you use, placing the stickers over pips on regular dice doesn't have any affect at all. Make sure the labels aren't "repositionable" and you will be fine.

In fact, I'm making a set using regular dice for one of my friends. I bought two 10-packs of Bicycle dice for two dollars each and the boxes the came in are what gave me the idea to create the boxes for Chunky Fighters. So whereas the blank dice cost me about eight dollars for 24 dice, the Bicycle dice cost me only four dollars for 20 dice. They're a much better deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you laminate the printed surface? I've been doing that for awhile now to protect wood tokens and works well as long as they don't go all the way to the edge so that fingers can accidently catch on the sticker edge. Otherwise the art gets damaged pretty easily from just general playing. Have you had any problems with wear or edge damage from repeated plays?

I've seen dice that have inset sides for labels. Some Hasbro games come with them. Not sure where you can buy those but would seem to protect them better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use any kind of lamination. So far, the dice labels (gloss label paper) have seen some wear. The deep black ink doesn't seem to adhere to the paper as strongly as the other colors. There is some very minor scratching that you can barely see and some dirt that doesn't come off. But overall I think the labels are handling very well.

Ideally, the images would be screen printed on the dice faces. But that would be for final production in a retail setting. For PnP, the labels work fine. Using dice with recessed faces would be fantastic. I think the Phase 10 dice game has those, but the numbers on the dice are raised, so those dice are unusable for Chunky Fighters. I wonder if there are any games with dice with flat, recessed faces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Try Hair Spray for starters.
I was taught that it is the easier and cheapest way to preserve graphics when I took my art lessons couple of years ago. It might be not durable, but it will do the job untill you will like to put more money into assembling a game.
:D

PS
Sorry, but I just have to: 11 hours remaining :D :D :D :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Rescue on Geonosis has several dice with recessed sides. I bought 3 copies of that cheap awhile back specifically for the wonderful plastic bases and kept the dice though there's not near enough for this game.

Someone told me another Hasbro game uses the same dice but has many more in the box. And hasbro does have a replacement parts form you can order more from. I tried it for Star Wars: Rescue on Geonosis to order a bunch more dice and stands but got a letter and my check back saying they were out of stock for that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an idea, albeit a time consuming one.

Buy some of these dice: https://www.enasco.com/prod/images/products/E5/AC027834.jpg
Open them up at the seam with a craft knife, label the inside using photo paper (for good quality) printed side out and transparent glue, then reassemble the dice with model glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found these:

From the site:
These heavy, solid dice have recessed faces. This helps as applied stickers will be much less likely to peel. The dice are 19mm per side. The recesses are about 13mm per side (just under 1/2"). I currently have:
* Yellow - 6
* Light blue - 6
* Dark blue - 2
* White - 10
* Black - 7
* Red - 7

Aside from there being only enough for one set, these are perfect.

Edit: These dice come from the various Yahtzee Jr. games. I found that you can order them in packs of five (as replacement parts) for $1.50 (plus s&h) from Hasbro's website but the only colors they have are red, blue, and yellow. What's more, only the yellow dice are $1.50. The red and blue are $2.50. There was a Yahtzee Jr. Princess Disney edition with white dice, but Hasbro doesn't sell those anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Mahon
Poland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Do you laminate the printed surface?

Usually I just cover my stickers with a thin coat of white glue. It's transparent when dry, and in addition to protecting the prints it also makes them stick to the dice better.

And sometimes I give the dice a coat of gloss varnish after that, to cover them with a protective layer and make them smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You can buy a pack of 5 dice (White, Black, Blue, Yellow, Red) for £0.95 ($1.60 on this date) plus shipping directly from the manufacturer through their education supply outlet.
http://www.the-education-shop.co.uk/acatalog/BLANK_DICE.html
They're made by:
http://www.dice.co.uk/fs_other.htm

You can buy 1,000 of them for £66.10 ($112 on this date) plus shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually got a few of these dice. They work perfectly for PnP games because the labels fit in the recessed faces just right and are protected from peeling.

Those prices are really good, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Freeman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mahon wrote:
ScottE wrote:
Do you laminate the printed surface?

Usually I just cover my stickers with a thin coat of white glue. It's transparent when dry, and in addition to protecting the prints it also makes them stick to the dice better.

And sometimes I give the dice a coat of gloss varnish after that, to cover them with a protective layer and make them smoother.

I tried that on this
it made them feel really soggy and awkward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried clear gloss spray paint for a protective coating? That makes a nice smooth finish that dries very quickly.

I've posted some other ideas/tips on making dice-cubes for games here, and there are additional interesting suggestions that people have added to the comments.

If you're patient, you can usually turn up lots of cheap dice at thrift stores (yahtzee, boggle, sharp-shooters, etc). I'm going to start experimenting with ways to fill in pips, as indented dice are far more common at thrift stores. Has anyone tried filling in pips? Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polycrafty wrote:
I'm going to start experimenting with ways to fill in pips, as indented dice are far more common at thrift stores. Has anyone tried filling in pips? Any ideas?

The first thing that comes to mind is wood putty. It's cheap, easy to apply, and creates a smooth surface after sanding. So you'd need some very fine sand paper, too. But I imagine it would work very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:

The first thing that comes to mind is wood putty. It's cheap, easy to apply, and creates a smooth surface after sanding. So you'd need some very fine sand paper, too. But I imagine it would work very well.

That's a good idea. My poly-craftiness doesn't really embrace the wood-arts so much, so I never think of those kinds of solutions. Do you think it would work on plastic too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it would. But since posting this I found an even better product: plastic putty.

Testors makes this stuff and calls it "contour putty." It is used for filling in seams and gaps in plastic models. I think it would work fabulously on dice.

You can find this anywhere models are sold, and it's very cheap, under three dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
I just learned of this game from the GG lotteries. Looks really cool! I saw a Boggle Jr in a thrift store yesterday.... but didn't pick it up. Today, it was gone (kicking myself).

The dice from it look like they would be perfect for this game. I think it comes with 8 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, those do look like they could work. You'd have to measure the recessed area. The Chunky Fighters labels are 13mm square. So unless those dice are abnormally large, they should fit well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I'd like to print these out to play with some family friends of ours (young kids who would love this stuff... as I would too )

Do these dice work well:

http://indentedblankdice.com/dice/

They are 19mm... but I think the stickers here are 13mm. I'm new to PnP so I can't gauge how well this would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
the_grip wrote:

They are 19mm... but I think the stickers here are 13mm. I'm new to PnP so I can't gauge how well this would work.

That will work.

For europe you can get them at The Education Shop in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_grip wrote:

Do these dice work well:

Yes, they work just fine. I've ordered those dice multiple times specifically for CF and the labels work just fine without needing to resize them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that Dollar Tree have sets of 10 dice (for a dollar, quel surprise). That means that for five bucks I can get 8 fighters and have a few leftover. So how does sticking the labels over the pips turn out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
So how does sticking the labels over the pips turn out?

When I first made the game I used pipped dice. It should work just fine. You may get some trouble from the side with 6 pips, but I'm confident the labels will cover everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll pick up the dice this weekend and get started!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.