Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played my first FTF game, against ahmet whom I've played several time online. Ahmet was the Allies. I haven't done a session report because I don't have the kind of detail I would want to put in a a session report, but here are a few of the more interesting moments of the game.

1) Churchill Prevails on turn 2 destroys all forts and gives the Russians an RP bonus of 5 RPs over the next few turns.
2) German Intrigues in Persia on turn 3 stops the Russian advance into Persia, and the Russians never get around to conquering Isfahan or even removing the Uprising markers.
2.5) Allied forces land at Besika Bay and Cape Helles, where they spend the rest of the game.
3) Romania on turn 6 prevents play of Bulgaria, meaning I don't get to Total War until the end of turn 7. The Russians capture Kronstadt and Hermannstadt.
4) Once Bulgaria enters the sheer weight of CP troops in the Balkans quickly crushes Serbia (earning the VP for BR loss of prestige) and regains the lost Austrian Vp spaces).
5) Meanwhile the Russians besiege Erzerum and break through at Mosul, threatening a circle of vacant spaces from Baghdad though Aleppo to Diyarbakir.
5.5) The French capture Athens from the beach-head off Athens. Greece joins the Central Powers.
6) Lloyd George and Allenby turn up in Fall 1916. The Russians take Mardin, which draws Turkish III Corps away from Syria/Palestine. Kitchener's Invasion now lands off Jaffa. With no rail link between Syria and Anatolia, the Turks pull back from the Suez Canal. III Corps cuts off the Russians in Mardin, and the Revolution begins on schedule.
7) An Allied attack on Jaffa is held off briefly by Ataturk, as the Allied LCUs cross the Sinai (playing with optional ANZAC Desert Corps rules).
8) The Allies break into Palestine, sending the Turks running northwards. Allied troops enter Jerusalem in Winter 1917.
9) Cental Asia and (a little later) Afghanistan break out in Jihad Revolts. I play the Indian Mutiny event.
10) The Allies rapidly secure most of Syria, though Medina holds out for several turns. The Turks dig in at Riyaq (thanks to card 37).
11) Berlin-Baghdad Railroad is finally completed in Summer 1917. Balfour Declaration follows immediately thereafter, cancelling out the point gain.
12) German IX and XI Armies take Athens from the French and capture the beach-head. The Allies are now unable to place beach-heads off Lemnos.
13) Project Alexandria lands troops off Adana, and a Corps is railroaded in to defend against them.
14) The Turks counter-attack the Adana beach-head and capture it, boosting the already high Jihad level.
15) Repeated Allied attacks on Riyaq eventually force a retreat to prepared trenches at Homs, and then to prepared trenches at Hama by game end.
16) The Allies break through in Mesopotamia, taking Kut and threatening Baghdad.
17) A Turkish infantry division makes it to India, triggering the Indian Mutiny, which removes several divisions and 3rd Corps from the map.
18) The Armenian Uprising occurs in Summer 1918, and the Turks don't eliminate it before the game ends.
19) The Afghan and Indian Mutiny irregulars attack India with the benefit of PASHA I, firing on the 15L column, but fail to destroy the British garrisons.
20) The Allies capture Baghdad on the last impulse of the game.

Final Score 8 after armistice adjustments. A fun game, featuring a decisive breakthrough in Syria which is rare in my experience. The breakthrough was mostly due to the sacrifice of the Russians to draw my Corps away and then the Jaffa Beach-head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Yesterday I played my first FTF game, against ahmet whom I've played several time online. Ahmet was the Allies. I haven't done a session report because I don't have the kind of detail I would want to put in a a session report, but here are a few of the more interesting moments of the game.

5.5) The French capture Athens from the beach-head off Athens. Greece joins the Central Powers.

Did they never play Greece? Did they DOW Greece to do this invasion?

Quote:
12) German IX and XI Armies take Athens from the French and capture the beach-head. The Allies are now unable to place beach-heads off Lemnos.

Did the Allies never take Salonika? Why were they unable to place beachheads at this point?

When did the Russians get taken out of the war?

Thanks, Thomas. Sounds like a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Allies never played Greece as an event. They could have, since Romania was in the war for several turns, but I guess they were impatient.

There is no need to formally declare war on Greece- all the Allies have to do is wallk into Athens (either by land from Salonika or, as in this instance, via a beach-head off Athens). This gives the Alllies the VP for Athens, but makes Greece join the CPs. Its an ok tradeoff if you remember to entrench and strengthen Athens.

The Allies never took Salonika. They were unable to place beach-heads at that point because they physically ran out. During the game the Allies get up to 5 Beach-head markers. 1 of these is Project Alexandria, which can't be used off Lemnos. 1 is Kitchener's Invasion, which Ahmet landed off Jaffa. That leaves 3 markers. Ahmet placed 2 of them on the Gallipoli submap and 1 off Athens. When I captured the Athens beach-head, there were therefore no markers left for further operations of Lemnos.

The Revolution began in Turn 9 and ended in Turn 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.