Oly Sibthorpe
United Kingdom
Southend-On-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Greetings to all board game enthusiasts. My name is Oly and live in the UK. I have been working on a game for the past year which i am now ready to self market.
My game is called KingBrick and involves flicking plastic bricks to remove your opponents bricks from the board and ultimately to defeat your opponents KingBrick. It is a simple format, playable by children but has options for adding 'special bricks' which lead to more complex strategy play for adults.
If you have a minute please have a look at the website http://kingbrickgame.com/ for more details and let me know what you think.

KingBrick has some vague similarities to chess and also finger-flick sports games like subbuteo but otherwise i believe it to be quite original. If there are any other games like it please let me know.
This is the first game i have developed to sell and i would appreciate any advise on how to get KingBrick out there. Should i contact board game clubs? Are there any conventions in England i can take it to?
I look forward to your comments and suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... any pictures or videos?

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oly Sibthorpe
United Kingdom
Southend-On-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are pictures on the website
http://kingbrickgame.com/
and if you register on forum you can see more in the gallery.
I am working on getting videos done too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orrin Venn
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Definitely. He needs to get a YouTube account and post some vids.

The name seems somewhat... the word 'brick' does not engender many positive feelings, i.e. 'thick as a brick', brick bat, a brick dropping on your head, brick wall (stubborn, insurmountable obstacle), etc. I think the word 'block' would be better. How about King's Blockade? Blockbattle, Battleblocks (or Battleblox?), Block Brigade, Block-Off (as in knock your), Knockablock?

Anyway, the game does seem fun and slightly dangerous, which appeals to me, but I'd like to see it being played. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orrin Venn
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
P.S. Will I need a glove for my flicking finger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I registered for the forum and could not see any pictures there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's more dangerous in your opponent's territory than your own, how do you avoid stalemates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oly Sibthorpe
United Kingdom
Southend-On-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the KingBrick forum click on gallery for pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"no category has been created"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oly Sibthorpe
United Kingdom
Southend-On-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree, YouTube vids are a must and will be done asap. I want to show slo-mo action shots as well as full games.
A glove is not necessary but hey, if you wanna go down that fashion route then go for it!
For those who wish to protect their finger-nails i can offer rubber thimblettes but my dozen or so test players all prefer to go naked (regarding the fingers you understand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oly Sibthorpe
United Kingdom
Southend-On-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry craniac i put pics in my personal album (KBM) isntead of Public Gallery. There are more in the shop page of the KingBrick website too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oly Sibthorpe
United Kingdom
Southend-On-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments so far.
I realise people need to see my game being played so i have done a quick video of KingBrick and got it on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzXYt4EZHA

You can also see it through http://kingbrickgame.com/ and i have added more photos to the gallery in the KingBrick Forum.

As you will see from the website there are several options for special ability bricks along with more pending so what you see on the video is a very simplified version.

I know the pizza box style packaging could be improved on but what do you think of the game?
Oly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game looks really fun. It's sort of a cross between marbles, billiards, chess, and Bakugan. The simple design probably turns off a lot of hardcore gamers, but those obviously aren't your intended audience. I would play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like fun. Just wondering what the 'bricks' are made off; will this stand up to repeated, repeated, repeated gameplay?

Definately interested and I'll bite once I get my next paycheck in a few days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
Actually, this looks very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a lot of fun. I like to find games that are good for adults and kids to play together (since that makes up about 95% of my gaming!), and this looks like it would fit that category well.

One note on the website: The blue text against the green background is really hard for me to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Casey
United Kingdom
Caversham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Where'd he go?
mbmbmbmbmb
lindelos wrote:
Looks like fun. Just wondering what the 'bricks' are made off; will this stand up to repeated, repeated, repeated gameplay?

This would be my concern too - are the stickers(?) going to come off easily? Looks like a fun game though. I have a young son and this is the sort of game I can sense I will be in the market for before too long

The website, to be brutally honest, is pretty ugly. Maybe ask around and see if a friend of a friend can spruce it up for you. It's a small project that a web designer might do for free/cheap to flesh out his cv/portfolio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waferthinninja wrote:
lindelos wrote:

This would be my concern too - are the stickers(?) going to come off easily? Looks like a fun game though. I have a young son and this is the sort of game I can sense I will be in the market for before too long

The website, to be brutally honest, is pretty ugly. Maybe ask around and see if a friend of a friend can spruce it up for you. It's a small project that a web designer might do for free/cheap to flesh out his cv/portfolio.

Or check with a dice manufacturer like Chessex about doing custom dice. May raise the price a bit, but would increase the quality at the same time.

Edit: I, too, would like to check this game out. Looks interesting and I have a penchant for dexterity games lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oly Sibthorpe
United Kingdom
Southend-On-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments. In reply to a few -

The KingBrick Bricks have been specially manufactured for me to suit the requirements of the game. They are strong, yet lightweight for flicking purposes. The stickers are a durable vinyl.

Yes, my website is an ugly duckling! It's my first attempt and it will improve over time.

Yes, KingBrick IS fun to play. I enjoy playing it with my kids, then sending them off to bed for us adults to have some serious fun! I realise it's a simple idea but as more special ability bricks are introduced the strategy increases.

I want to self-publish (at least to start with) but not sure of the best route for this type of game. One fun idea put to me was just to go to a big public event like in a park with a few friends and just set it up and play it (enthusiastially) inviting people to have a look and play and hand out leaflets to those interested. It sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon to me.
Does anyone have experience of this kind of thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okicoki wrote:
Thanks for your comments. In reply to a few -

The KingBrick Bricks have been specially manufactured for me to suit the requirements of the game. They are strong, yet lightweight for flicking purposes. The stickers are a durable vinyl.

Yes, my website is an ugly duckling! It's my first attempt and it will improve over time.

Yes, KingBrick IS fun to play. I enjoy playing it with my kids, then sending them off to bed for us adults to have some serious fun! I realise it's a simple idea but as more special ability bricks are introduced the strategy increases.

I want to self-publish (at least to start with) but not sure of the best route for this type of game. One fun idea put to me was just to go to a big public event like in a park with a few friends and just set it up and play it (enthusiastially) inviting people to have a look and play and hand out leaflets to those interested. It sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon to me.
Does anyone have experience of this kind of thing?

A couple hours and you could give Essen a shot in October. other than that, hit up local game stores and post demo days and times on the walls. Bring a few sets to sell, possibly slightly discounted, and word of mouth may help it take off quicker.

Also, what would you charge to ship a set to the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really cool!

Nice idea and design.

Go for it!

Just one question: why not include the other bricks with the starter box? I am sure people would not mind paying a little bit more in order to get more variety without having to order any extras. I would not mind :). Shipping to Canada?

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
Since it's more dangerous in your opponent's territory than your own, how do you avoid stalemates?

Just 'bumping' this in case you missed it the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Ever consider "King of the Block"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oly Sibthorpe
United Kingdom
Southend-On-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have checked shipping from UK to USA, CANADA and AUSTRALIA for The KingBrick game (starter set) and it is £19 GBP. This is mainly due to the weight of the board.
The KingBrick board is made of a rigid hardboard which gives a nice flat surface and does not fold or dent like cardboard, but it is heavy.

I have just added another YouTube video for those interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingBrickMaster#play/all/uploads...
I hope you enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.