Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people have had serious video card overheating issues with Blood Bowl. There have even been a few reports of card components literally overheating.

It looks like both nVidia and ATI cards are affected. High end cards seem to suffer the most.

I've experienced full system locks due to overheating while running Blood Bowl, something that's never happened on my system from other games.

Here's the bug report thread: http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1...

I would think twice about buying the game until this issue is resolved. Since Cyanide apparently took the weekend off, I don't think that'll be anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap. I was looking forward to getting this game.

I guess I can wait and get it on Bargain Bin special, once it's patched up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there are some other serious issues that could use some patching, too. I'm still glad I have it, though (turning all the graphics settings to their minimums and keeping an eye on your GPU's temp makes it playable). I'd never get a chance to play the tabletop version, so this is a decent replacement.

It's frustrating reading the Bug Report forums on the main site, though. So many bugs that were reported in Beta still exist.

I wish that Games Workshop had found a better developer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DuckAndCower wrote:
It looks like both nVidia and ATI cards are affected. High end cards seem to suffer the most.

Reading through the thread, it looks like low to mid range cards are the biggest culprits. The 8xxx-9xxx series nVidia cards seem to be the ones most people are reporting issues with, and those have had overheating issues since launch.

I'm running the game at 1920x1200 with all settings maxed on a GeForce GTX260 and my card temps never get much above 60 dC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9xxx isn't high end anymore? I'm getting so old...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roughly ten years ago I switched from PC gaming to Videogaming, because I was sick of full-price betaversions, constantly having to buy new hardware and other issues.
I never regreted this decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with the game so far and have had no problems of any kind. I have not noticed any lock-ups or crashes on either of my machines. My PC has an NVidia 8600GT and my Laptop has and NVidia 7900GS, both with 256MB. I run the game with all video settings maxed and it seems to be ok.

I'm not particularly pleased with how long it takes to get the game menu to load, and even longer to actually get a game loaded and running. Admittedly, in RTS mode the game's frame-rate can be choppy during kick-off and I have not yet tried turning the graphics down to see if that helps at all.

Anyway, with close to a dozen games played so far, no crashes or lock-ups. BTW, there have already been two patches issued for the game since release, the game being currently at v1.0.1.1. In fact, the first update was already available by the time I got the game downloaded and installed Wednesday evening, so I never played the initial release version.

I'm sure GW will see to it that this game is properly supported, it is way too popular a game to leave unfinished. Ther is a lot here to like and I see Cyanide as working hard to improve the game so far. I am usually of the bargain-bin mold, but am very happy I decided to pre-order this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems with my nVidia 7600. Then again it's not high-end, but the graphics look fine to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DuckAndCower wrote:
9xxx isn't high end anymore? I'm getting so old...

nVidia uses a cruel numbering system in which the thousands place refers to a manufacturing series, while the hundreds place indicates power. Thus my 8400 is substantially inferior to, say, a 7900.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Potapoff
Canada
edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To be accurate. Only a few are having such high over heating problems. Some people are reporting their graphics card runs hotter than normal but not at alarming or damaging temperatures. And many people are reporting no issues at all regarding their card heating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True. And it's hard to say how many are not having any problems at all, since they wouldn't be visiting the tech support forum if their game was working fine.

I'm not sure if it's just a placebo effect, but the latest patch seems to have made overheating much less frequent for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyanide has acknowledged the problem and have stated it is their highest priority at the moment. A new patch was released yesterday, v1.0.1.2, which automatically sets your in-game resolution to 1280x1024, or in the case of my laptop with a wide-screen LCD, 1280x800. You can still change it in the options if you want to, but the little note that pops up explains they have done this to improve performance, and I would assume, to help reduce over-heating.

So, I believe we are in good hands with Cyanide and that this issue is being addressed rapidly, the mark of a good company to my way of thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't even get it to work, and if you look at their tech forums tons of people are having problems with crashes and not even being able to get it to start. I'm probably just going to get my money back today as their tech people have been no help (literally).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Roughly ten years ago I switched from PC gaming to Videogaming, because I was sick of full-price betaversions, constantly having to buy new hardware and other issues.

Ugh, I could never give up games like Space Empires V, Steel Panthers World At War and even full blown FPS titles like Half-Life 2. FPS games on consoles are so hamstrung and shallow. Nobody has designed a controller that is as good as a keyboard/moouse combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:
A new patch was released yesterday, v1.0.1.2, which automatically sets your in-game resolution to 1280x1024, or in the case of my laptop with a wide-screen LCD, 1280x800.

So, I believe we are in good hands with Cyanide and that this issue is being addressed rapidly, the mark of a good company to my way of thinking.

Actually, the "patch" raised my resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1280x1024, and also maxed out all the other graphics options.

I'm not sure we're in the best hands (I have some serious doubts about their programmers' abilities), but at least they're working on it. It's also a small, new company, so I think they might improve with time. At least I hope so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have any real issues apart from being unable to select a higher resolution than 1280x1024. But it's not like I need a higher resolution to play. Game looks great as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:

...until the PS3 and XBox 360 came out, since they enable one of those items to occur on consoles ("full price beta versions"). whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
I never regreted this decision. :)

Ugh, I could never give up games like Space Empires V, Steel Panthers World At War and even full blown FPS titles like Half-Life 2. FPS games on consoles are so hamstrung and shallow. Nobody has designed a controller that is as good as a keyboard/moouse combo.

I'll second that sentiment. Playing first-person games on a console is not even close to doing so on a high-end PC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
The Jakster wrote:

I always found keyboard controls for games crude, something that I associate with the DOS era, but not with the new millennia.
Mouse control is very precise indeed, but you need to sit at a desk to use it.
I have a comfortable couch and a large HD-TV, I really don´t want to exchange that for playing at a desk!
I grew up gaming-wise with the C64 and for me consoles gaming is much closer to the spirit and feel of C64 gaming.
I really want a (joy)stick for gaming.
Back when consoles controllers only had directional pads, console gaming was out of question for me.
This all changed with the N64 and later PS controllers.
You can play with a Joystick on the PC, too, but the major difference is that a video game is totally tailored and optimized to it´s video game system controller, with a PC Joystick you first must get lucky that the joystick you have is supported by the game and then you have to fiddle around trying to adapt it to the game you want to play.

In the past, I have partly been dissatisfied with the scope of many videogames, but with games like Oblivion and Fallout3 on consoles this is really an issue of the past.

Like I said, I never regreted turning my back on PC gaming and towards video games and I´m looking forward to several more decades of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.