Popular Tags: [View All]
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first foray into game publishing and a wild ride it was! I took it to PACIFICON as an event for a couple years, sold all the copies from the first print run which was 50 copies as I recall - the cards were printed on green 250# Index Stock. I then printed an additional 200 copies on 250# Ivory Linen Stock when I was invited to attend a couple of RUNEQUEST Conventions.

It is a great Convention game - when you get 10 guys around the table whooping and hollering, it really drew attention and was a great time!

I eventually wound up selling all 250 copies [Greg Stafford's son wore out three copies!] except one I've kept for archive purposes.

At the time, I had no idea this would resurrect itself into a dozen rethemes. Only EXPRESS LINE [the train game version] has made it into a box.

If you ever had the chance to play at PACIFICON or one of the RQ-CONS, I'd love to hear from you!

In the news - for the past two years, I've been working on getting a Limited Edition 25th Anniversary version published with all the cool graphics the original versions never had. I've had problems getting an artist, but I've finally got one that I hope will get this into a box by the end of the year. Realistically, it probably won't be till next year, but we'll see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the update still be based on the RuneQuest pantheons and runes of 25 years ago, or the retconned Glorantha of HeroQuest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than upgraded graphic design and illustrations on each card, this will be a remake of the original edition. In fact, the RPG scenario booklet will still be written from the perspective of RQII and the scenarios from GRIFFIN MOUNTAIN and QUESTWORLD - which revolve around the Blueface Shaman and Barbang - all remain the same. If any current publishing company wants to pick this up and update everything to the current system, they are welcome to do so. But THIS 25th Anniversary Edition [which will be a Limited Edition, small print run] will remain faithful to the original.

It will just LOOK like it had been printed using 21st century techniques!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Buddy Chester wrote:
Other than upgraded graphic design and illustrations on each card, this will be a remake of the original edition.
Good, glad to hear it

Hope you'll announce it's availability here - how do you imagine it'll be sold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Availability
I will absolutely announce it here!

I will sell direct from my home. There won't be enough printed to sell in stores - I do not wish to tread on copyright infringements with the new owners of the current iteration by printing enough copies to make this edition an issue. I fall into an odd copyright situation in that I have an old agreement with Greg Stafford/The CHAOSIUM that has no expiration date... but that was 25 years ago and the brand has gone through a number of hands in the intervening years and I have no desire to abuse that small window given to me way back when, by challenging anybody's right to anything. I have no need to rock anybody's boat for any reason or create any brain damage for anyone. This will strictly be a labor of love because I can.

This printing will strictly be a 'vanity press' style affair. I don't anticipate more than 200-300 copies tops. Like EXPRESS LINE, each will be a numbered copy of a Limited Edition. And again - if the current publishers decide this game fits their brand, I'm sure they will contact me, at which point I will sell cheap! laugh Should that occur, whether they decide to republish using the current state of the RPG or keep this version as is [I guess it would be considered 'retro' now], that would be up to them entirely.

As far as I know, there are no copies of the original for sale anymore, so if you want the original version, you'll want to subscribe to this and watch for the announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark me down as a preorder, then, please

Damn... I just decided I wouldn't do preorders anymore... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.