Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first try with the operational rules I conceived. Basically fleets move on the map as provided with the game, and the maps can be modified by using the land pieces provided. In this case I used a few islands to represent Attu and Kiska, theorizing about a Japanese attempt to stop the landings on Attu. The Japanese are lead by Ozawa and the Americans are led by Kinkaid. Both fleets are chosen and deployed in secret, with a rough point total used to guide the selection by both sides.

Japanese Fleet
1st Fleet (Ozawa): Zuikaku, Shokaku, Zuiho, Tone, Akitsuki, three Kagero class destroyers (Isokaze).
Shokaku has 1 zero fighter, 1 Val, and 1 Judy.
Zuikaku has 1 zero fighter, 1 Val, 1 Kate.
Zuiho has 1 zero fighter.

2nd Fleet (Kurita): Yamato, Kongo, Haruna, Jintsu, Myoko, Atago, Yukikaze, three Kagero class destroyers (Isokaze). 243 Points

Submarine: I-26

424 Points

American Fleet
1st Fleet (McCain): Enterprise, Baltimore, five Fletcher class destroyers, two Atlanta class cruisers (San Diego and San Juan)
Enterprise has 1 Wildcat, 1 Dauntless, 1 Devastator.

2nd Fleet (Kinkaid): Tennessee, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Salt Lake City, Pensacola, Boise, Baltimore, eight Fletcher class destroyers,
17 Transports.

Submarine: Barb

453 Points

Journal of Vice Admiral Ozawa, flagship Shokaku.

April 1, 1943
Weather is clear. Main battleship fleet steamed to the southwest of Attu in front of carrier forces. Afternoon air search finds nothing. We saw no evidence of the enemy until evening when Zuikaku was attacked by an American submarine. The submarine was found and sunk by destroyers Akitsuki and Urakaze.

April 2, 1943
Admiral Kurita wired that he had found the enemy's battle fleet just outside Attu and was moving to engage. At dawn I was informed that Kurita had broken off the engagement after a fierce fight. This is a most unfortunate battle. We lost many ships and failed to prevent the enemy's advance on Attu.

Added later on by Ozawa: I later found out that Kurita was surprised during his nighttime encounter. He didn't expect to find anyone and was almost upon the enemy when the firing started. He divided his fleet in two, light vessels holding back while the battleships charged ahead with Yamato in front. The American destroyers dashed at Yamato and one of them was destroyed in a blaze of fire. Kongo and Haruna also wiped out a destroyer each. Two Japanese destroyers were lost early to gunfire. Myoko was sunk by torpedoes, but she managed to sink a destroyer. Cruiser Jintsu was also sunk by torpedoes, but apparently did not wreck any havoc upon the enemy. As the fight developed the battleships and the destroyer Yuikikaze and cruiser Atago were separated. Yuikikaze was lost, but the enemy in turn lost Salt Lake City. Meanwhile the row of battleships pressed on, sinking another destroyer. A gunnery duel between Tennessee and Yamato broke out, with Yamato gaining, while another American destroyer fell to the big guns. Yamato rammed and then blasted away at Baltimore but failed to sink her. At this point Kurita broke off his attacks. The Americans had lost Salt Lake City and five destroyers, while in turn sinking Myoko, Jintsu and three of our destroyers. However, North Carolina and Tennessee were damaged.

April 3, 1943
The weather is overcast and rain is constant.

In the morning I ordered a massive air attack upon the American fleet at Attu. We lost many dive bombers, but we sank North Carolina. Two waves of American aircraft came and the dive bombers screamed down and claimed Zuikaku. Another Japanese carrier had been lost and I decided to break off the entire operation. The Americans will control Attu.

Conclusion
The game was very tense, including air searches, weather, and hidden fleet strengths all adding to the tension. After some revisions I will post the rules I've been playing around with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Bowdish
United States
Argyle
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good! Thank you for the report. I will look forward to your revised rules. We have been using some modified rules ourselves and lately, have been using the minis with the Victory at Sea rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post here to let us know when you put the rules online?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are up, check the file section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.