Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartosz Borowski
Poland
Poznań / Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi geeks .

I'm sure there is some way to see games sorted by their avg. weight, but I can't find it (massive thanks for anyone who can show me how to do this), so I would like to hear your recommendations.

What are the heaviest games available for 30$ or less?

I have only one condition - it must work well with 2 players (it's a bonus if it supports more) as I'm afraid I will have trouble with finding more then one opponent to really heavy game.

Thanks in advance,
m.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amyitis
Prophecy
Puerto Rico
Reef Encounter
Siena
Taluva
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodor
United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
memnos wrote:
Hi geeks .

I'm sure there is some way to see games sorted by their avg. weight, but I can't find it (massive thanks for anyone who can show me how to do this), so I would like to hear your recommendations.

What are the heaviest games available for 30$ or less?

I have only one condition - it must work well with 2 players (it's a bonus if it supports more) as I'm afraid I will have trouble with finding more then one opponent to really heavy game.

Thanks in advance,
m.

Although I've never played it, I think you're talking about Go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Masters of Venice which was recently released. It's a pretty heavy economic game that scales from 2 to 5 players. There's a lot going on in this one...it might seem a little fiddly at first but 'bout halfway through the game, it seemed to click with our group and we've enjoyed it since. I've only played it with 4 and I thought it played very well...there's a good 2-player review of the game here on BGG at this link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/408356

It's got a lot of components and it's less than $25 at on-line retail game stores...

NOTE: There's a contest here on BGG for this game...they're giving away 8 copies so you might get lucky and get one for free...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You used to be able to sort by weight in the advanced search results but the powers that be have nerfed the advanced search a lot during their "improvements" that they've made to the site over the last few months.

Now all you can do is select a weight parameter in the advanced search... say 3-5 and all the games come up that meet that minimum level.

I did a search for all the top rated games with weight from 3-5 that play with 2.

Scanning through some of those games and looking at a few prices there are a fair number roughly in the $30 range.

Depending on what type of games you like and how "heavy" you want them... some of these could be interesting for you:

Shogi - Weight 4.1

Go - Weight 4.0 (I see you have already rated this... but it's pretty much THE definition of an inexpensive, heavy 2 player game.)

American Megafauna - Weight 3.9

Chess - Weight 3.8 (I personally don't like it... but it is a heavy game and cheap )

Caylus - Weight 3.8

Reef Encounter - Weight 3.7

XiangQi - Weight 3.6

The Scepter of Zavandor - Weight 3.5

In the Shadow of the Emperor - Weight 3.5

La Città - Weight 3.3

Silverton - Weight 3.3

Maharaja: Palace Building in India - Weight 3.3

1960: The Making of the President - Weight 3.2

In the Year of the Dragon - Weight 3.2

The Princes of Machu Picchu - Weight 3.2

Amyitis - Weight 3.2

Homeworlds - Weight 3.2

Leonardo da Vinci - Weight 3.2

Hermagor - Weight 3.2

Axis & Allies - Weight 3.2

Age of Napoleon - Weight 3.2

Magic: The Gathering CCG - Weight 3.1 (Of course you've also already rated this but it's a great game for 2... some great depth. ... likely cost more than $30 for most people though )

Louis XIV - Weight 3.0

Conquest of the Empire - Weight 3.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some wargames:

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1
Afrika (second edition)
Battle for Germany
Totensonntag
No Better Place to Die
The Russian Campaign...AH 3rd Edition can be found cheap on EBay.
Stalingrad Pocket II
A Victory Lost: Crisis in Ukraine 1942-1943...when back in print.
World at War: Eisenbach Gap...right on the border of your price range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Borowski
Poland
Poznań / Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IndigoPotter - Puerto Rico and Taluva aren't to heavy in my opinion . But from your propositions Siena and Amyitis really interested me, thanks!

electricvomit - I wondered how long it will take until someone suggest Go. I played it and enjoyed it very much, but there is one problem with Go (and Chess, and Bridge and couple of other games) - to be really good you have to spend many years on training. There is too many great games to focus so much on one title .

eknauer - I played Caylus couple of times. Thanks for the recommendation nevertheless.

otha62 - Masters of Venice looks like a game i would enjoy. I answered 4 question correctly in the contest you mentioned, so there are some chances for the win cool.

nexttothemoon - Promised "Massive Thanks" goes to you . I guess narrowing search results will have to suffice.

You mentioned some games I never heard of before I will surely check them out. Thanks again.

Ellowen-Deeowen - I keep an eye on couple of wargames (can't wait for GMT's The Virgin Queen). Now I will have to keep an eye on couple of wargames more sauron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:

In the Shadow of the Emperor - Weight 3.5

Just for the record, ItSotE does not play well at all with 2 players; see the threads linked to the game for more discussion on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will recommend my top 3 games that I only play 2-player with my husband. All are less than $30.00.

Acquire - Weight 2.6
India Rails - Weight 2.6 (some of the other Crayon Rails games are heavier - Lunar Rails and Iron Dragon are weighted 2.8 and 2.9, respectively)
Louis XIV - Weight 3.0

Good luck on your quest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
I can imagine someone saying it...

"I like my women like I like my 2p games: heavy and cheap."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrrrr!
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I second Reef encounter, Caylus, and Puerto Rico, though PR only plays 2 with a variant (which is quite good).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrrrr!
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe Twilight Struggle ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.