Hide
5 Posts

EVE: Conquests» Forums » Rules

Subject: HQ ownership and claiming regions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Burr
msg tools
I played my first game of this last night, 2 player. It was quite enjoyable but we wound up with a couple of rules questions.

The rulebook is slightly contradictory in a couple of areas. Here are two that I noticed:

Claiming regions. On page 7 (American rulebook) it says "...if you have outposts (or headquarters) on two regions that have Region markers of either the matching nebula color or with matching letters, you may collect..."
On page 11, it says "...you may claim two Region cards from the political landscape, as long as you have linked the respective regions together and built outposts in them (headquarters count as outposts in this respect)."
On the Empire cards it says the same rule as page 11, though without the HQ clarification.

Which conditions are required? We played where you had to meet all three conditions- outposts, shared color or letter, and linked.

The other question involved owning your HQ. The rulebook is again very slightly contradictory. The question is, do you ever not own your HQ? (And related, can your enemy ever have Units there as opposed to Agents?) Page 7 says that HQ regions are never conquered, but then that a region with one or more units is owned; and it says that you can build an outpost in a region you own if you own or have agents in every region adjacent to it, and there is this text: "i.e., you must have at least one unit in every adjacent region." These imply that an empty HQ region is not owned.
However, on page 10, the rules for starting the game, say that as you place units you place them in an empty region adjacent to one you own or have an agent on, an enemy region that is adjacent to your region, or one of your own regions. If you don't own your HQ, you start the game unable to place any units!

We discovered this when 2/3 of the way through our game we discovered that we had built between us 7 outposts that had as one of their "adjacent owned regions" a HQ with no units in it.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Evensen
India
Chennai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played that you need to link two region that have either matching letters or colors and have built an outpost in each region (so all three requirements). I'll have to recheck my rulebook, but I guess I never saw any confusion or contradiction.

You always own your HQ. As you pointed out, a HQ are never conquered or destroyed, so there would be no way for an opponent to take it over. Any other colored chips in your HQ's region are agents. You can move units out from your HQ without having to leave one behind to control it.

Pragmatically one unit is needed in every other region to control because there would be no other way to tell who controls the region. Since each HQ is different and color-coded, there is no need for a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Whitfield
msg tools
This question came up briefly when someone used the move hq card, until I found out the unit had to move with the outpost. The HQ is always owned by the player controlling it, but no unit is required there. the general concensus from the first group of players is that there is never any reason to put units there unless they're required for an attack. This means that no player but the HQ owner can ever claim the related region card unless the HQ is moved and then later conquered by another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Castonguay
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Based on this post, can I go so far as to say that if you have no units on your HQ, you may use it as a basis for building an outpost on adjacent regions?

eg. I have a region which has adjacent regions, of which I own them all (or have at least one agent). One of the adjacent regions which I own is my HQ which has no units on it. Can I build an outpost on said region?

My assumption is yes, when we played the first time we assumed yes (setup requires to place next to an owned region, of which you have none unless you count your HQ, therefore yes).Then we later assumed no (Description of placing outposts led us to believe we needed a unit to make it controlled). Then further inspection of the rules led us to believe it was yes, though I'm still not 100% certain, so I pose the question to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenlaven Aurcrist
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook pgs 6-7:
"Empty regions are claimed with headquarters and units..."
"...you are never required to have any units at your headquarters."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.