Subject: Fighting Multiple Monsters --> The Terrible Experiment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Sterling
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So the text of 'The Terrible Experiment' card says that you put five monsters out on it and that "Any player may choose to fight one or more of these monsters..."

So...do you fight multiple monsters at once? Do you resolve them individually and just do multiple instances of combat in a single turn? How does this work?!?! I can't find anything in the rules or on the forum that clearly explains whether or not you can fight mulptiple monsters at once and how you do it.

Help please. :-)

-Dave & Stacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Saurio
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Logitech G25 + rFactor + XtremeRacers = pure sim racing!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get there and decide which monster you want to fight against.
If you win, then you can fight another one, and so on until you fail or you get tired...
As they're not "in the board" you don't need to evade the rest of them.

At least it's how I've always played this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
Marasaurio wrote:
,,,At least it's how I've always played this card.

Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sterling
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Marasaurio wrote:
If you win, then you can fight another one, and so on until you fail or you get tired...

And you can do this all in one turn correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, again that's how I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Marasaurio wrote:
As they're not "in the board" you don't need to evade the rest of them.

At least it's how I've always played this card.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it when there is a Mi-Go or two in the stack.
We call them Cracker-Jack boxes.
Open them up and ....
Out comes the prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Does that mean that if you are lucky to fight off , say 3 out of 5 monsters, do the ones you did not beat off remain on the board ?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have been playing it like Mara and Jeff, too !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Does that mean that if you are lucky to fight off , say 3 out of 5 monsters, do the ones you did not beat off remain on the board ?

Thanks in advance.

They remain "on the card" since they were never on the board. But yes, you may pick and choose the easy ones to keep the rumor "open" indefinitely - saving the tough ones for stronger investigators, using it as a no penalty "outskirt", and preventying other rumors from coming into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sterling
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
elfrododumbo wrote:

Thanks in advance.

They remain "on the card" since they were never on the board. But yes, you may pick and choose the easy ones to keep the rumor "open" indefinitely - saving the tough ones for stronger investigators, using it as a no penalty "outskirt", and preventying other rumors from coming into play.

Interesting concept. This actually might play to our advantage. Thanks for the idea! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, some people refer to it as a monster trophy generator and like to leave it in play. Bonus of this is that other Rumors will bounce while TE is in play. Others (like me) prefer to take out any Rumor ASAP (barring ones at the very end of a game). And sometimes, you just can't do anything about it, 'cos you've only drawn immunity/resistance packing toughness 3 monsters only.

Or, some horrible monster (Dhole in my case) is sitting on the fricking Miskatonic U. streets and nobody (and I mean nodody) can manage to sneak past it. Oh yeah, Curfew was also in play yuk . And once it did move, failed to kill a 1-toughness monster with 8 dice, TE failed, GOO woke up. Gotta love final combat vs Glaaki at that point, 1 attack where you need to do all the damage, 4 investigators (needing 48 hits) have a total of 3 dice available shake .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tazbro wrote:
Love it when there is a Mi-Go or two in the stack.
We call them Cracker-Jack boxes.
Open them up and ....
Out comes the prize.

Pinatas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of off topic, but I was wondering this about The Terrible Experiment.

Can you use "Flute of the Gods" to kill all of the monsters in TTE all at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwirk wrote:

Unclarified. I think there are 2 schools on this: Yes and No.

No-school (I know I'm in here): Monsters on TE are on the card, while FotG states "in your area". Your area when taking on TE is for me Miskatonic U. streets, where the activity from TE takes place.

Yes-school: They just want the easy way out . (j/k)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
clockwirk wrote:

Unclarified. I think there are 2 schools on this: Yes and No.

No-school (I know I'm in here): Monsters on TE are on the card, while FotG states "in your area". Your area when taking on TE is for me Miskatonic U. streets, where the activity from TE takes place.

Yes-school: They just want the easy way out . (j/k)

Ah. But if I go to the Miskatonic U. streets, the monsters are in "my area", no? Are streets not considered an 'area' for the purposes of FotG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwirk wrote:
Ah. But if I go to the Miskatonic U. streets, the monsters are in "my area", no? Are streets not considered an 'area' for the purposes of FotG?

TE (and monsters on it by extension) aren't in the area (which streets definately count as), merely their activity happens there. I look at FotOG as affecting those monsters physically on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dam the Man wrote:
clockwirk wrote:

TE (and monsters on it by extension) aren't in the area (which streets definately count as), merely their activity happens there. I look at FotOG as affecting those monsters physically on the board.

I am of the Yes-school - at the moment. In order to fight the monsters, you have to share some space with them. Otherwise, how do you hit them? They just aren't on the board and immune from board effects. The Flute isn't specific to the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I used it once and then asked the question myself, and stopped doing it.

Reading this posting has given me pause again.

The monsters are not on the "board", but they are still in Arkham, correct, with the activity taking place in the Miskatonic University streets?

The FotOG shatters the monsters in some way. Could that only work if they were slithering around in Arkham? Is there some sort of acoustical shadow that prevents it from working if you interpret that the monsters are somewhere outside town?

I'll think this one over again, and might go back to alloing it.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been an official ruling on this one. FFG normally seems to be really good at issuing errata and clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I am of the Yes-school - at the moment. In order to fight the monsters, you have to share some space with them. Otherwise, how do you hit them? They just aren't on the board and immune from board effects. The Flute isn't specific to the board.

What about if there are say 2 monsters in the Miskatonic U. streets that you evaded + TE with 5 monsters on it? Does blowing FotOG net you 2, 5 or 7 trophies? For me monsters on TE aren't really anything different from mummy/zombies from "Clothing Drive" . Abstract things with stats (though in this case you have actual monster tokens to see).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Kyrš
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look into FAQ, page 5.

Q: Do cards that affect monsters at Miskatonic University (such as the “Campus Security Increased” Mythos card or the “Flute of the Outer Gods” Unique Item) affect mon-sters spawned by “The Terrible Experiment”?
A: No. Those monsters are not actually on the board; they can only be fought as if they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kyrsk wrote:
Take a look into FAQ, page 5.

Q: Do cards that affect monsters at Miskatonic University (such as the “Campus Security Increased” Mythos card or the “Flute of the Outer Gods” Unique Item) affect mon-sters spawned by “The Terrible Experiment”?
A: No. Those monsters are not actually on the board; they can only be fought as if they were.

And there you have it. Not sure how I overlooked that so many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.