Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm reading the rules, and trying to come up with a summary of connectivity requirements for when I teach the game. Here's what I have. Please post comments, and I'll update accordingly.

The fundamental rule of connectivity is:
Quote:
All of your track must be traceable back to a city using only your own track. With respect to connectivity, your track building is legal if and only if this is true.

When in doubt, apply this rule.

Each track tile laid down must do one of the following:
1. Start a new link from a city.
2. Extend track that you own.
3. Extend (and thereby claim) an unowned & incomplete link that connects directly either to a link you own or to a city.
4. Redirect the last track placed on an incomplete link that is not owned by someone else. If unowned, requirements of #3 must be satisfied. Redirection alone does not result in ownership, unless it completes the link.
5. Connect an incomplete link that you own to an unowned incomplete link, thus assuming ownership of the unowned track.

Note that when placing/replacing town tiles that you will own any pieces of track leading from the town unless they are already connected to another player's track. Also, track tiles laid down must never extend nor redirect track owned by someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
I'm reading the rules, and trying to come up with a summary of connectivity requirements for when I teach the game. Here's what I have. Please post comments, and I'll update accordingly.

Each track tile laid down must do one of the following:
1. Start a new link from a city
2. Start a new link from a town you are already connected to.
3. Extend an incomplete link that you own.
4. Extend (and thereby claim) an unowned & incomplete link that connects directly to a link you own or a city.
5. Redirect the last track placed in an incomplete link that is unowned or owned by you. If unowned, requirements of #4 must be satisfied. Redirection alone does not result in ownership, unless it completes the link.

One rules corner occurs to me, but maybe it doesn't come up in real games. Could you build a link that simultaneously extends/starts an owned link and connects with a unowned link (thus forming a complete link that you own)? It seems valid from a logical & thematic stand point, but, taken literally, the rules don't seem to allow it.

I think you've pretty much got it covered.

I think point [2] is almost always redundant, however: If you are connected to a town, you almost certainly have an incomplete link poking out of it already, unless you used one of those "dead end" town tracks, and you really shouldn't have laid that tile if you planned on extending out on your next turn!

With regard to your final question, we decided that yes, you can do this. Otherwise, there is no risk in not extending your incomplete link and losing it, unless there's a chance that another player can come at it from a city and claim it.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks very much for the confirmation. Regarding:
Moviebuffs wrote:
I think point [2] is almost always redundant, however: If you are connected to a town, you almost certainly have an incomplete link poking out of it already, unless you used one of those "dead end" town tracks, and you really shouldn't have laid that tile if you planned on extending out on your next turn!

Boy did I have a big misunderstanding here. One doesn't 'start' new links by extending out from a town's exits. Rather, you start new links when you lay down a town tile with open exits. So, you are right, #2 is redundant. Thanks for helping me realize this. I'll revise my original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The example picture at the bottom of page 11 in the rules leads me to ask:

When you place a track that has two exiting (and incomplete) tracks, do you place 2 markers, one for each incomplete link?

It is these multiple exiting tracks that has me confused.

Thanks,

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
lancemoody wrote:
The example picture at the bottom of page 11 in the rules leads me to ask:

When you place a track that has two exiting (and incomplete) tracks, do you place 2 markers, one for each incomplete link?

It is these multiple exiting tracks that has me confused.

Thanks,

Lance

Yes.

For the example at the bottom of page 11, there's no incomplete track (before or after). So, just to confirm your meaning: if you place a Town/Track tile somewhere, introducing lots of new, incomplete exits - you should put your marker on every one.

CORRECTION - I misread the hairpin at the bottom of page 11, my apologies. It appears Green will have one section of new, incomplete track after the proposed tile - which he should mark accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!

Is there anywhere this is explicitly addressed in the rules?

Also, I hope you do not mind helping me understand your comment about just one incomplete track. I wonder if we are talking about the same thing.

In the example on the bottom of page 11, a hex is being placed that has 2 track pairings.

It appears to me that the player is starting up 2 links:

1. Leads north from the grey city and turns to the east but will be incomplete in that direction.

2. Leads southeast from Harford and turns northeast but will be incomplete in that direction.

What am I missing so badly...I suspect it has something to do with hexes vs. links (perhaps a player owns the hex?)? I would sure appreciate understanding who owns (or must extend in order to continue owning) what track in this sort of situation and how this is kept track of.

Thanks,

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
I looked again - you're right. For some reason I thought they were proposing to replace the tile directly south of Hartford with that new one (turned slightly clockwise), but that wouldn't work anyway! gulp

If they put that new tile directly where the arrow is pointing (imagine that!), you will have two new segments of incomplete track, leading out of the cities exactly as you describe.

And yes, they'd both get markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
lancemoody wrote:
Is there anywhere this is explicitly addressed in the rules?

If you mean tokens on incomplete track, this is primarily on the top of page 10, 'Incomplete Links': 'an incomplete link is still marked with your token...'

Of course, take note of the additional stuff about losing ownership of any incomplete link (ie, your token is removed), if you don't extend it on the next turn.

So, back to your example - we have 2 incomplete links heading east (from hartford and gray-city); next turn you will need to extend each one to retain ownership of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks!

That clears it for me (I think).

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Russell
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These criteria a very, very helpful. Pasta, you've answered some of my questions relating to these topic on other posts, but this is a nice, concise way of putting things. Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:

Of course, take note of the additional stuff about losing ownership of any incomplete link (ie, your token is removed), if you don't extend it on the next turn.

So, back to your example - we have 2 incomplete links heading east (from hartford and gray-city); next turn you will need to extend each one to retain ownership of it.

So if you don't extend them on the next turn, you lose ownership, but others can only take them if they approach them from the other side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
maaikefest wrote:
jimb wrote:

So if you don't extend them on the next turn, you lose ownership, but others can only take them if they approach them from the other side?

Yes. Or they could first build into the town on the other end (via track improvment) so that their track is directly connected, and then extend the unowned link. Remember the fundamental rule of Steam/AoS:
Quote:
All of your track must be traceable back to a city using only your own track. With respect to connectivity, your track building is legal if and only if this is true.

This is my wording (variation on statement by CortexBomb).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.