Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Australian Boardgame Championship
CanCon - January 1986

I still remember the first time I played a game against my good friend Mr T. It was in the seventh and final round of the Australian Boardgame Championship. I was a little awe-struck at the prospect of facing Mr T. A brilliant wargamer with an imposing reputation.

We were scheduled to play The Russian Campaign. Mr T. suggested that after having played six rounds already that perhaps something less mentally taxing would be a better way to enjoy the final round of competition. He suggested A House Divided - I agreed.

I went the Confederacy - I play the Confederacy fairly passively by building up my cavalry, avoiding major confrontation and waiting for the Union to make a mistake and then unleashing my cavalry into the Union hinterland.

We had started the game and had maybe a couple of turns completed when the tournament organiser came over and told us we had to play The Russian Campaing.

I looked at Mr T. and innocently said, "This is A House Divided isn't it?" Mr T. said, "I think so - it looks like The Russian Campaign"

The tournament organiser told us that it was not The Russian Campaign and we had to play the nominated game otherwise it would invalidate the statistics for the entire tournament. In light of that we felt we no option but to assure him that we were playing The Russian Campaign and that he clearly didn't really know what he was talking about. He walked away shaking his head.

Mr T. was awsome as the Union - I had never seen such a flawless display and just kept falling back, waiting for a mistake.

After an hour a group of Mr T.s friends came over and asked how it was going. Before Mr T said anything I just said that he was winning and I had never seen anyone play the Union that well. From that point Mr T just eased up a little.

We got to the end of the game without either of us having achieved an automatic victory - he just didn't make a mistake but I had a sufficiently large force to make him advance cautiously.

I was fairly certain that I had edged him out in a close finish. Before we scored the game we shook hands and thanked each other for a fine game.

He calculated the point score and I saw a look of suprise go across his face. He adjusted his glasses and added up the points a second time. With a suprised tone to his voice he said, "You've won."

I couldn't help but reply, "I know - thank you for a good game."

Mr T's friends came over and asked him about his win. He told them, "I lost! I don't know how but I lost! I've never lost a game of A House Divided.

It was a great game and the start of friendship that is still going strong after more than thirty years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point score? In A House Divided? I thought that if the Confederacy survived to the end of the game it was an automatic Confederacy victory. Or is there some newer edition that changes that? But... you said 1986, so it should be the original edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
Point score? In A House Divided? I thought that if the Confederacy survived to the end of the game it was an automatic Confederacy victory. Or is there some newer edition that changes that? But... you said 1986, so it should be the original edition.

In the boardgame championship they had a special tornament scenario where players would score points if there was no automatic victory to determine the level of victory - in the tournament players could achieve Strategic Victory, Operational Victory, Tactical Victory, Marginal Victory or Draw and receive a different number of points for each level of victory to go towards their point total for the tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok. That now makes sense. I'm glad my brain wasn't completely gone on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story, thanks for sharing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
Ah, ok. That now makes sense. I'm glad my brain wasn't completely gone on this.

The scenario is here (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/30341) if you want to try it out sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.