Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
First Chevauchee

One of my very good friends is dying of cancer - a few years ago he used to come over one night a week to play games. I don't see much of him now as he is usually too tired to do anything in the evening and during the day does a lot of things with his young grandchildren.

I invited him over for lunch and we played our first game of BattleLore. It was the first time for both of us.

I thought the first scenario, without the morale rules, was just a touch too simple. We played the second scenario.

Paul took control of the English and I took command of the French. When learning a game I like to learn while I am playing - I find it too confusing when people want to explain all the rules to me before we start - Paul is the same. I gave him a basic run-down on the core rules and assured him that I would tell him about other rules as they became relevant.

The game was fairly quick and completed in only 8 turns. It was close fought - I won but Paul should have had the victory. Over the final two turns Paul needed to eliminate only one more of my units to win - I had two units that were down to a single figure and Paul was unable to roll the dice he needed. I played a Battlelore Command Card and was able to take out two of his units with my cavalry.

Paul's reaction was that for the first half of the game he didn't really understand what he was doing but that he really enjoyed the second half of the game.

The best part of the session was to hear Paul's parting comment that he enjoyed the game and he wants to play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kusmaul
United States
Columbia
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad he enjoyed the game an d that like me other people are brought closer to friends through games. PLease pass on to Paul best wishes from a random board gamer who fights cancer daily for a living. Tell him to stay strong and believe in miracles, I have seen them happen and will pray for one for him.

Sincerely

Ericthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zieser
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tell him the same from me as well. We boardgamers who struggle with cancer must stick together! Plus, thanks for gaming with your friend and giving him a taste of "normal" for awhile. Sometimes when we are in midst of treatments and surgeries and biopsies and all that we run out of "normal". We have good friends who would come over and play games with me every week before my treatments, and it meant the world to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carjack wrote:
Tell him the same from me as well. We boardgamers who struggle with cancer must stick together! Plus, thanks for gaming with your friend and giving him a taste of "normal" for awhile. Sometimes when we are in midst of treatments and surgeries and biopsies and all that we run out of "normal". We have good friends who would come over and play games with me every week before my treatments, and it meant the world to me.

I know what you mean - about 12 years ago one of my friends had a 12 year old son who was in the final stages of lukemia. For about three months I would go over on Monday nights and play Bloodbowl with the son - we kept doing this until he was no longer capable.

After Michael's death I continued for some time to go over to Graeme's house on the Monday evening and he and I would play Scrabble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you both the best. Enjoy BattleLore and anything else that pleases you both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I wish you both the best. Enjoy BattleLore and anything else that pleases you both.

He has a very positive attitude about it all. We were actually talking about death a few weeks ago and I asked him what he would like to have people say about him at his funeral - his response was that he would like someone to say, "My gosh, I'm sure I saw the casket move - are you sure he's really dead!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
He has a very positive attitude about it all. We were actually talking about death a few weeks ago and I asked him what he would like to have people say about him at his funeral - his response was that he would like someone to say, "My gosh, I'm sure I saw the casket move - are you sure he's really dead!"

Sounds like a great guy. The world will miss him - please give him my best regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Vuksic
Croatia
flag msg tools
mb
Best best best wishes to Paul from the Commands and Colors crew from Zagreb! We love you, man, and wish you to hang with us all for a lot more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.