Subject: Can someone clarify Boarding parties for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
How do Boarding parties work? I assumed that every turn that a Heavy Raider was in the same space as a launch bay, if you get an "Activate heavy Raider" icon, you put a Cylon Head token on the Boarding Party line until a head would be put on the last space, and the players lose.

The FAQ seems to indicate otherwise. Can someone please explain how the Boarding Party/Heavy Raider thing works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNate wrote:
How do Boarding parties work? I assumed that every turn that a Heavy Raider was in the same space as a launch bay, if you get an "Activate heavy Raider" icon, you put a Cylon Head token on the Boarding Party line until a head would be put on the last space, and the players lose.

Yes, only move the boarding party over ever time an "Activate Heavy Raider" icon appears - not put another chit down... so theoretically you can have multiple chits on the same space.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the heavy raider symbol appears:

1. Advance any boarding parties already on the ship by one space each (multiple parties can occupy the same space). If any one or more parties reach the last space, the game is over and the Cylon(s) win.

2. If any heavy raiders are on the board:
2a. If they are ready to dock (below galactica) they place one boarding party on the ship on the first space each. If there are not enough boarding parties to place, the current player chooses which heavy raider(s) will deploy and which will remain on the board. Any heavy raider which deploys a centurion is removed from the board.
2b. Else, if they are not ready to dock, move them one sector closer to the dock.

3. If there are no heavy raiders on the board (regardless of if there are centurions on board or not): each basestar launches one (by definition, there must be enough to place, since there are only 2 basestars and 4 heavy raiders).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Okay, so if a Heavy Raider is at a viper launch space, and a Heavy Raider icon appears, you put a head token on the start space, and then discard the ship.

And if a heavy Raider icon comes up while a Cylon Head token (or several) is on the board, you move that head one space towards the defeat space? Even if there isn't a heavy raider on the Viper launch space?

Am I close?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan, that's right on. Both of these things can happen on the same turn, so remember to move both raiders already on the board and head tokens (centurtions) whenever the symbol comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Re: Can someone clarify one more thing for me
Since I have your attention and you seem to know so much, I have to ask a few more questions:

1) I swear I read something about a Cylon not being able to use the text of their "You are a Cylon" loyalty card if they are currently located in the brig. Is this true?

2) A strategy article cited a strategy for using Starbuck when no enemy ships are on the board: Have her jump into a Viper on one turn and then discard a card to dismount on the next turn, and then get two actions. Then repeat. Is that an actual strategy? It doesn't seem helpful. It feels like wasting half your turns to get to do double on the other half of your turns. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) Partially. There are (I think since my game is still packed away) two sentances. One says "Action: Reveal as a Cylon." You may ALWAYS do this if you have an action to spend, whether it is your turn or not, or whether you are in teh brig or not.

The second sentance says, "If you are not in the brig, you may..." Obviously, if you are in the Brig, you can't use this special bonus feature.

2) When Starbuck starts her turn in Space, she gets 2 actions. Most people origianlly assumed that meant two Viper Actions - like move and attack or attack twice. But it was clarified she could move back to Galactica and still retain her two actions on that turn. Having two actions in a row is critical since time is of the essence in this game. So while it is basically "delaying" one action until a later turn, this game has a lot of ebb and flow. There is downtime - especailly after a jump, that an action really isn't needed so moving out to space doesn't harm you. And then when the action starts to heat up, you are in a position to do more damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNate wrote:
Since I have your attention and you seem to know so much, I have to ask a few more questions:

1) I swear I read something about a Cylon not being able to use the text of their "You are a Cylon" loyalty card if they are currently located in the brig. Is this true?

2) A strategy article cited a strategy for using Starbuck when no enemy ships are on the board: Have her jump into a Viper on one turn and then discard a card to dismount on the next turn, and then get two actions. Then repeat. Is that an actual strategy? It doesn't seem helpful. It feels like wasting half your turns to get to do double on the other half of your turns. Am I missing something?

1- Yep. The only conditional aspect of revealing is...

If you are NOT in the Brig,
you do get to use the power on the loyalty card... May reduce Morale by -1, May send someone to Sickbay and force him to discard 5 cards, May Brig someone, and May choose 5 Galactica damage tokens and resolve 2 of them.

Else,
you do NOT get to use that loyalty card power.

Everything else happens as normal...
--discard down to 3 skill cards
--move player token to Ressurection Ship location
--pick a Super Crisis card
--NO crisis card drawn at end of turn nor any subsequent turns as a revealed cylon.

2- WHOOPS! I meant to cover this as well....

Turn one: move to hangar deck and launch. Take extra action (cannot be activate location, but everything else goes).

Turn two: either stay in space and take two actions, or discard a card to move to Galactica or Colonial one to take two actions (including stuff like activating Weapon Control or Communications twice).

OR use 2 Quorum cards, fire 2 nukes. etc. President's Office is effective, but goodness forbid if the Super Crisis card Bomb On Colonial One takes out that ship, this is the only way to draw/play 2 Qcards in a singel turn w/o getting XO-ed

Another neat trick I learned with Starbuck....
If you're already out in space, say one of the sector opposite of the launch bays, but you need to fire at one of those spaces ASAP, the best you can do is MOVE to the side, 1st ACTION move to the launch bay, then get one ACTION to attack. Alternatively, you can do the following

MOVE: Discard a skill card to move back to Galactica on the Hangar Bay locaion

ACTION #1 (since Starbuck did start her turn piloting a viper): activate Hangar Bay location

move into either sector adjacent to the laucnh bays

ACTION #1a (gained action from activating the Hangar Bay location):

and ACTION #2 (2nd action she gets starting her turn piloting a viper):

ACTION #1a and #2 let's you fire twice. Up to 8 times with 2 Max Firepowers. You get an extra action this way with Starbuck or any other pilot, so it's a neat way to get back to the sectors next to the launch bays. Particularily to protect civvies or take out an incmoing heavy raider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

2) When Starbuck starts her turn in Space, she gets 2 actions. Most people origianlly assumed that meant two Viper Actions - like move and attack or attack twice. But it was clarified she could move back to Galactica and still retain her two actions on that turn. Having two actions in a row is critical since time is of the essence in this game. So while it is basically "delaying" one action until a later turn, this game has a lot of ebb and flow. There is downtime - especailly after a jump, that an action really isn't needed so moving out to space doesn't harm you. And then when the action starts to heat up, you are in a position to do more damage.

Also, note that by launching yourself from the Hanger deck, you get an extra action.
So basically it's:
Turn one: move to hangar deck and launch. Take extra action (cannot be activate location, but everything else goes).
Turn two: either stay in space and take two actions, or discard a card to move to Galactica or Colonial one to take two actions (including stuff like activating Weapon Control or Communications twice).

So the flow is one-two-one-two, if you jump back and forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
DrNate wrote:

Yes, only move the boarding party over ever time an "Activate Heavy Raider" icon appears - not put another chit down... so theoretically you can have multiple chits on the same space.

-DK

Wait a minute, since when do the chits stack on top of each other? Don't they automatically "push" one another if theres no room? For instance, if two land at the same time, one lands and moves and the other comes behind it? I haven't seen any ruling on this and the rules are unclear about this subject. Can anyone point me to this info?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the latest FAQ:

Q: Can multiple Centurion tokens be on the same space of the
Boarding Party track?
A: Yes. They do not push each other, or prevent other tokens
from being placed on their space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cactusgod wrote:
DKahnt wrote:
DrNate wrote:

-DK

Wait a minute, since when do the chits stack on top of each other? Don't they automatically "push" one another if theres no room? For instance, if two land at the same time, one lands and moves and the other comes behind it? I haven't seen any ruling on this and the rules are unclear about this subject. Can anyone point me to this info?

Thanks
Mundane wrote:
From the latest FAQ:

Boarding Party track?
That's right. If 2 heavy raiders boarded at the same time, then both need 4 more movements till they take over Galactica. Both of those stacked cent tokens need to be destroyed independantly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
From the latest FAQ:

Boarding Party track?

Great Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.