Wizard's Gambit» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gambits and magical components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DC
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about gambit cards. The first is concerning the Aura of Protection and spells with more than one component missing from the spell. The (updated) rules say that a protected spell in the spell pool is "not a legal target for other wizards' magical components" [emphasis mine]. This seems to mean that the wizard who placed the gambit there can still add components while it is protected. However, in the "special gambit rules", it says that "magical components may not be played on that spell while protected", which seems to mean that nobody, not even the wizard who played the gambit, can place a component on it while protected.

We actually got through our first game without having to worry about this, as the gambits were always played when only one component was needed to finish the spell.

So what I'm asking, basically, is that if there's a crazy spell that I really want (and it needs, say 6 components), can I cast an Aura of Protection when it's only got two components and then keep adding another component each turn until I get the spell (and have it protected this whole time?)? Or would it be necessary to place a component, play a gambit card, then remove it from play on my next turn in order to place another component card?

We also played with placing the gambits onto the discard pile, which ended up with lots of gambits in play (which wasn't actually that bad!). That was just a mistake due to playing the game immediately after reading the rules through only once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I've always played is that the spell is not a legal target for ANY components - otherwise, assuming there's no interference from incantations, you could just easily take spells at your leisure with little chance of being stopped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post.

I think that the reason why we didn't mind was because we were putting gambits into the discard pile (so a lot of them were in play)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.