Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had my eye on Blood Bowl for a number of years. I've been playing fantasy football for over a decade and while I love many board games of all kinds most of the other players had no further interest. Because there is a great bemoaning of the offseason (aka the worst 7 months of the year) I decided this would be a fantastic excuse...errr, opportunity to purchase and play Blood bowl. So I snagged a copy on eBay this week.

I played my first full game today, coaching the human team. JB felt particularly bashy and took the Orcs. JB won the toss and elected to defer, so I began with the ball.

Most of the first half was spent in a massive fight at midfield. Neither coach had a good idea of how the ball should be moved so we just shuffled players in the middle trying to impede progress of the other team. During this mad struggle JB managed to knock out a Catcher. JB did manage to snag the ball behind the line and threw a pass fairly deep- we were both shocked when it was caught. There was some additional fighting but JB hit the end zone and came out of the half with a 1-0 lead.

After an inspirational locker room speech the humans showed a renewed enthusiams. This energy quickly evaporated as the Orcs blasted a hole and moved down the field. It seemed like a 2-0 defeat was at hand, but a brave lineman performed a mighty blitz 2 spaces from the endzone and forced a fumble. A nearby thrower grabbed the ball and tossed it downfield to a waiting catcher. The catcher was behind the Orc lines and coasted into the end zone to even the match at 1-1.

Time was not sufficient for any additional scoring, so the match went to sudden death. The Orcs again won the toss, and the ball was kicked deep to a waiting blitzer. They attempted to use a power running game to force the ball up the middle, which bogged down near midfield. The humans managed to force a fumble and throw a deep pass. From that point forward the teams alternated blitzing the ball carrier. The final blitz attempt by the Orcs merely knocked back the human catcher, leaving him free to score on the final turn of overtime. The humans eeked out a 2-1 victory.

The game went over well- we're already wishing we had new teams (JB wants a bashy undead team and I want Wood Elves). Can't wait to try with the extra rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know whether you did that but you should always play with the assist rules, even when starting out, because this is where the real tactics of the game are.
I'd also recommend trying out the teams by using proxies before you go spending your money on minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend never giving Games Workshop a single dollar and just making playing pieces to use for the game. I play with wooden blocks with stickers on em'. If you want to generate interest in the game and play in a League (which you do, you just may not know that yet) you have to make the game accessible to people. A large part of that is keeping costs down.
A painted team can cost upwards of a couple hundred dollars and a non painted team can cost 20+ hours and bucks in materials.

For someone who's never played before, that is a deal breaker. If you love the game, play Blood Bowl. And do it the cheapest way possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Skupin
Germany
Hamm
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah build your own stuff and get people hooked. But don't do wooden blocks, go for more eyecandy:

For the whole package you can't ignore miniatures and stadiums, it adds so much flavour. Right now I am painting my Warhammer Fantasy conversion Chaos team. You don't have to get the GW stuff, but miniatures beat blocks and cardboard any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it was a very exciting first session. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
e.e.goings wrote:

For someone who's never played before, that is a deal breaker. If you love the game, play Blood Bowl. And do it the cheapest way possible.

I do agree it's great for that, but for the rest it's personal taste.

I like to play with the minis because they add so much character, and character is one of the strong points of the game IMO.
Blood bowl is my favourite game and I'm sure I spent hundreds of euros on it (I have painted Humans, Dwarves, Amazons, Khemri, two Wood Elf Teams, Chaos Dwarves, Amazons, Dark Elves, Halflings, Chaos and Skaven, tons of custom dice, 2 custom pitches,...) but seeing how much time I have spent playing it it is probably the cheapest game I own in terms of $/hour.
IMO Blood Bowl is more then "just" a game. It is an entire hobby on its on if you want it to be. You have people not just painting teams, but also sculpting teams, doing conversions, making pitches/fullblown stadiums, custom passing templates, dugouts, dice,...
Personally I prefer my killer dark elf blitzer to be represented by a cool mini rather then a tiddly wink!

But that's also the cool thing about blood bowl, if you want to play it casually and keep it cheap, you can! And especially when starting out, you should! Because before you know it you've bought a team that doesn't fit your playstyle at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
We got in a game with advanced rules (we decided to ignore the weather). Assists make this a much more tactical game- we were really impressed. I took Humans again vs. the Orcs.

I had some huge issues adjusting to the change in playstyle- I got blocked/fouled like crazy in the first half. I had 1 player injured and 5 more knocked out before the first touchdown. Unfortunately he held the ball the entire second half and played a defensive game- I had to throw my guys at him to try and strip the ball. Had a few unfortunate rolls and couldn't get the job done- lost 2-0.

This game is really better with the extra rules- assists and fouling made a big difference for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.