Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude! Seriously! There is ANOTHER freaking story on right now about some dude who called 911 because they overcharged him at McDonald's. This is some sort of mental retardation wave sweeping the nation. Where do these people get the impression that they should be calling 911 for that? Where is the breakdown in education happening? I mean... I'm not mentally retarded, so I'm not sure I can think like they do to get to the bottom of this. I've NEVER EVER been told not to call 911 because my order was wrong and yet... somehow... like magic...somehow it just happened,... you know?... like I just kind of know this information... I just KNOW that you don't call 911 for something like that. It's not the food. I like McDonald's as well as the next guy*. I've certainly eaten my fair share and yet I still have enough brains cells to NOT call 911 if my order is wrong. What is it? Just stupid people breeding out of control? What?

OK, go ahead and bash me for admitting in RSP that I like McDonald's. Go ahead. I got 911 on speed dial, freaks. Just go ahead and try it!

*the next non-hippy-tree-hugging-only-eat-thai-food-tofu-extra-spicy-so-we-can-all-see-how-socially-elite-vegan-and-mother-earth-friendly-they-are guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is the weight people assign to their petty concerns. I'd point to twitter and constant cellphone texting as other manifestations of this attitude.

I've called 911 once, in a clear emergency, and it has never even occurred to me to call in any other circumstance. As to how people come to think they are so specially important that being gypped out of a few dollars qualifies as an emergency, well I blame the emphasis on self esteem in our culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
What is it? Just stupid people breeding out of control?

Um, yeah, pretty much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a real explanation:

You can't call the police anymore. Check your phonebook. At least in mine, the only number listed is 911. So the only way to call the police to let them know you think you've been stolen from is to call 911.

(Now it is true that these particular cases are pretty stupid but I do understand why 911 gets calls for everything. They set it up that way!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
This is some sort of mental retardation wave sweeping the nation. Where do these people get the impression that they should be calling 911 for that?

Let's see if you get your own reality TV show (America's Dumbest Eaters), then we'll see who's laughing last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
You can't call the police anymore. Check your phonebook. At least in mine, the only number listed is 911. So the only way to call the police to let them know you think you've been stolen from is to call 911.

I am skeptical. Every locality I know has a non-emergency police number. I have several of them programmed into my cellphone.

You can dial 311 in many communities, but still a minority of the country. Believe it or not, the "National Emergency Number Association" opposes making it easier and more convenient to make non-emergency calls!

http://www.911dispatch.com/info/311_nena.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Dude! Seriously! There is ANOTHER freaking story on right now about some dude who called 911 because they overcharged him at McDonald's. This is some sort of mental retardation wave sweeping the nation. Where do these people get the impression that they should be calling 911 for that? Where is the breakdown in education happening? I mean... I'm not mentally retarded, so I'm not sure I can think like they do to get to the bottom of this. I've NEVER EVER been told not to call 911 because my order was wrong and yet... somehow... like magic...somehow it just happened,... you know?... like I just kind of know this information... I just KNOW that you don't call 911 for something like that. It's not the food. I like McDonald's as well as the next guy*. I've certainly eaten my fair share and yet I still have enough brains cells to NOT call 911 if my order is wrong. What is it? Just stupid people breeding out of control? What?

OK, go ahead and bash me for admitting in RSP that I like McDonald's. Go ahead. I got 911 on speed dial, freaks. Just go ahead and try it!

*the next non-hippy-tree-hugging-only-eat-thai-food-tofu-extra-spicy-so-we-can-all-see-how-socially-elite-vegan-and-mother-earth-friendly-they-are guy.

There's a lot you don't know, Eric.

Maybe the guy was on some anti-anxiety meds, and he just had to call 911 because they gave him 3 ketchup packets instead of 4 for his fries, or maybe he got confused because they're using the side-bar pump for ketchup now instead of handing out packets, but he's been using the packets for his fries all his life, and he felt overcharged because they didn't give him any packets and the ketchup pump is clearly stuffed with e coli and all sorts of fecal germs from people handling it all day without washing their hands in the bathroom like all the signs clearly say, and he just didn't understand why the damn clerk wouldn't give him any packets when his meds hadn't kicked in yet with his Diet Coke and oh god here comes the wave of trembling fear and suddenly the lack of ketchup packets turns into a pants-soiling, freeze-in-place event and thank God he had 911 on speed dial, but now his situation is now just another Nail in the Coffin of American Civilization for all the droll wits on RSP.

Happy now? HAPPY?!?! Happy, funny guy?

Dammit, I'm hungry for a #3 value meal now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
What is it? Just stupid people breeding out of control?

Um, yeah, pretty much.

Thats what happens when religions dont allow the use off birth control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There is ANOTHER freaking story on right now about some dude who called 911 because they overcharged him at McDonald's.

Thanks for the good news. It must be a slow news day. No celebrity died and no politician got caught cheating on his wife today. At least, this story won't be plastered all over the TV for days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
I'm not claiming America has more stupid people, but it does appear that the stupid people America has are the MOST stupid.

No, its OK. We have more stupid people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think one person is a representative sample for the intelligence of a nation, although I'm sure we could find more samples if we were to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lebanon
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
DarthXaos wrote:

I'm American, and I think America probably had more stupid people than the rest of the industrialized world, just look at the education statistics.

Also look at our culture, which CELEBRATES stupidity. Jerry Springer, Jackass, 3259562919452347 reality shows, Jay Leno's Jaywalking.

Stupidity is rewarded in America with celebrity.

I guess you could take pride in being the driving force of worldwide stupidity then, seeing that all that rubbish is copied everywhere. That's the problem when people think that American culture is great, but at the same time they think that American culture is merely reality shows and fast food.

Having said that, in the same situation as the guy I would have, like, totally called 911 you know, because the guys at McDonalds you know, they screw you like shit and stuff you know, so yeah, he wouldn't give the cash uh? Totally call 911 on his ass, yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
I don't think one person is a representative sample for the intelligence of a nation, although I'm sure we could find more samples if we were to look.

It's not just one person. This is the second guy from Oregon in as many months. I hear about this sort of thing on a regular basis and it seems to be increasing in frequency. This particular guy called back after being told by the dispatcher that his call was inappropriate use of the 911 system. They interviewed him when he was released from jail the next morning (he was arrested and taken in) and he was totally unapologetic. Still thinks he did the right thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
This is some sort of mental retardation wave sweeping the nation. Where do these people get the impression that they should be calling 911 for that?

Let's see if you get your own reality TV show (America's Dumbest Eaters), then we'll see who's laughing last.

I eat at McDonald's maybe once every other month. I don't think that would qualify me for America's Dumbest Eaters.... (unless they found that I've been known to take out an entire Little Caesar's in one setting, then I might make the Vegas show.... I'm fairly certain I'd be washed out in Vegas).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Link with recording of 911 calls:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/06/man_arreste...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think this comes about as a result of the 24 hr. news stations poutting these reports on the air as actual news?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RowdyRodimus wrote:
Do you think this comes about as a result of the 24 hr. news stations poutting these reports on the air as actual news?

No.

Are you suggesting these guys are more likely to call 911 because they have heard news reports of other people doing the same thing? That doesn't seem to make sense. They didn't do it as a prank, it's pretty clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthXaos wrote:
This guy should get the death penalty.

You'd better be careful with that kind of advocacy, it might not turn out well for you if society adopted such policies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

No offense, but I seriously doubt that. Every phone book I've seen has a government pages area in the front that lists things like the local police departments' phone numbers. 911 is only for real emergencies or dangerous situations. Many areas are looking at 311 services for either municipal information on non-emergency police calls, but I'd be very, very surprised if there wasn't a local phone number in every phone book.

Why? Because 911 services aren't provided by local police departments. They're provided a Public Service Access Points (PSAPs) that aggregate regional departments into a single area for efficiency. And that means that your call to complain about being overcharged for a burger could possibly bump someone 50 miles away from being able to report a heart attack. The only area where you might find a 1:1 relationship between municipal emergency responders and PSAPs is in large cities, and even then they're very likely to handle many suburbs as well.

Check the front of your phone book. Dollars to donuts says your police department, fire department, animal control, etc. all have numbers listed in the government section because 911 ain't set up for you to report identity theft of a non-emergency situation.

People call 911 because they don't bother to look for the folks they actually should call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
quozl wrote:

No offense, but I seriously doubt that.

Then check it and spare me your rant until you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

How are we supposed to check your phonebook?

Mine says, "Non-Emergency numbers and additional Emergency numbers are available in the White Pages under the listings Ambulance, Fire, and Police." Right under 911 on the very first page. And the non-emergency numbers for the different local jurisdictions are in fact right where it says they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
quozl wrote:

I thought you took pride in your reading comprehension. I said check your phonebook.

DaviddesJ wrote:
Mine says, "Non-Emergency numbers and additional Emergency numbers are available in the White Pages under the listings Ambulance, Fire, and Police." Right under 911 on the very first page. And the non-emergency numbers for the different local jurisdictions are in fact right where it says they are.

Thanks! That's good to know that other phonebooks aren't as stupid as mine. Mine does not have non-emergency numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
quozl wrote:

I checked Quozl's phone book and I see the confusion. Where he lives the white pages list the non-emergency police and sheriff numbers under "Burger overcharges and McNugget shortages".

Here in Idaho the books give 911 as "emergency only" and instruct the user to settle all other problems with their fists or firearms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
In Texas, they give you one number to call, 911. Then tell you that they charge $200 per non-essential calls to 911, and throw in where all the speed traps are located. Both pieces of advice are then promptly ignored by idiots.

Texas has to cover the budget shortfall somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Mine does not have non-emergency numbers.

Well, even without seeing it I'm willing to bet $100 this is not true.

I can believe they are slightly harder to find than mine. But they must be in there.

This is a real phonebook, published by the local phone company, not some sort of community freebie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.