Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up Innesmouth Horror last week and had my second play today.

When I had initially looked at the Ancient ones I figured my strategy had to change there was no way I could beat one of those GOOs in battle with only 3 investigators. It was time to work hard at sealing them gates. But that's harder than it sounds using only 3 investigators.

For the game I randomly drew the following Ancient one and investigators:

Rhan-Tegoth
Roland Banks, Patrice Hathaway and "Skids" O'Toole.

Patrice Managed to get an Axe, an Enchanted knife and Enchanted sword along with Wither.

Roland and Skids got pretty well nothing in the way of weapons to write home about. Though Roland did manage to pick up an Elder sign.

3 Gates were closed and sealed quickly thanks to Patrice's 'inspiring' and Roland's Elder sign,
The problem was the clue tokens diminished rather quickly as there was a need to use some to get out of being trapped by some nasties.

Patrice managed to close another gate but lacked the clues to seal it.

Money was spent on buying some spells and managed to get another 'Wither' for my trouble.

While only two gates opened in Innesmouth the investigators were not in the position to travel there - no money. The deep one rising track was soon nearly full. Knowing there was no way to stop it the investigators headed to south church for a bit of blessing before the big fight. They also visited St Mary's and gained a bit of health. The terror track was on 9 when one of the Monster stepped into the vortex and the Deep Ones rising track filled. It was time to battle Rhan-Tegoth.

One cultist had been drawn during the game so the Ancient ones track started at 13.

The first attack by the investigators manged to wipe the 2 extra tokens of the Ao track - still had 11 to go.

Skids O'toole having the most stamina was first to be attacked, rolling 7 dice he rolled 4 losses. (4 extra successes needed)

The investigators rolled to see if they retained their blessing and Roland's was lost.

The next attack removed another 2 tokens (plus the four extra successes) from the AO track. Roland used Wither and enchanted knife, Patrice enchanted sword and Skids had nothing but Wither.he blessings were indeed a blessing

Patrice was attacked next and lost 1 stamina.

The AO was hit again by the Investigators. Reducing it's track by 2 tokens - 7 now remained.

Roland had 2 stamina knocked out of him and "Skids" lost his blessing but the investigators held on.

Patrice lost another stamina leaving her with 2 the AO track dropped to 5.

Skids luck totally deserted him and he was devoured. Leaving Roland and Patrice to battle on.

Not long after Roland fell victim to Rhan-Tegoth and Patrice was left to battle it out.

Patrice had 2 Stamina, Wither and the Enchanted Sword. Rhan-Tegoth had 2 tokens left.

Patrice lost her blessing, but she rolled 5 successes from a possible seven. One doom token was removed for Rhan-Tegoth's track. - One to go

Rhan-Tegoth attacked again and Patrice lost another Stamina.

She rolled for Wither and failed she was left with 4 dice to roll she needed 4 to win. 2 successes were rolled.

As Rhan-Tegoth attacks again Patrice quickly tumbles forward with flick of the wrist she survives - 1 die and it's a six.

With her lore at 5 she figures she's bound to strike it lucky with Wither this time she casts and it's a fizzer (twice in a row now).

She carefully balances the enchanted sword in her hand moving it rapidly from side as she watches Rhan-Tegoth from the corner of her eye. She releases the enchanted sword and it strikes it mark a double 6 and Rhan-Tegoth slumps to the dust.

In all 56 successes were needed to down Rhan-Tegoth. 33 for the original 11 track tokens + an extra 6 for the cultist + 17 extra successes for investigator stamina loss.

The combination of 2 Wither spells, Enchanted sword and the Enchanted knife and a bit of blessing worked wonders. Even with the extra successes required 1 or 2 tokes were removed on the majority of attacks.
In most instances 4 - 14 dice were rolled per attack. In the early rounds mostly 14 this decreased as investigators were devoured. It was only sheer luck at the end that allowed Patrice to survive.

Stats:
Monster Gates
Name status Kills/toughness Sealed/closed
Roland Banks: Devoured 5/12 1/0
"Skids" O'toole: Devoured 1/2 1/0
Patrice Hathaway: Survivor, 3/6 1/1

Terror track 9
Deep One Rising track: Filled

I now know it's possible to defeat at least one Ancient one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the draw .

Also, how on earth can you possibly be without Clues with Patrice in the game? Ditto for Roland and money, given that he gains money every turn? Sounds like you spent Clues on "pointless" endeavours? Unconscious/insane is a cheaper way to get out of a trapped location .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, you're totally right.

Though I did balance it with losing half of my weapons, didn't want to lose what I had.

Clues picked up towards the end, money stayed pretty poor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.