United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya all,

I'm considering doing some design work on a second edition of Border Reivers, incorporating a bunch of things I've learnt in the seven or eight years since I started designing the limited edition.

I think my major goals will be to capture the feel of the first edition, while reducing the number of die-rolls (especially for reinforcements) and turns when you don't do anything.

If you're interested I'll be doing a blog post at http://creationandplay.blogspot.com/ tomorrow discussing my ideas and soliciting feedback and other ideas. If you're interested please comment on the post with your input or just an expression of interest.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interest

Interest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had quite a few ideas.
The main problem is when you roll and don't roll high enough to get what you paid for. It should be a straight cost. I think if you put a cost on all the improvements based on how valuable they are and say you get some (10) points to spend between advancements and troops. Maybe have cost go down with number of cities occupied. Maybe how dual cost types to keep mines worthwhile. A monetary cost and a materials cost (say ore), or just man labor costs. Man labor would thematically be easier to justify as a cost savings with more cities.

Also, I think having counters for the building types instead of or in addition to the cards would be really helpful. Halfway through the game I got confused which building was on which city.

I like how combat works, though my colleagues did not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Jae,

Thanks for your input - it looks like we're thinking along similar lines

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have enjoyed Sumeria and It's Alive and I'm going to get Carpe Astra, so the more games you produce the better I say!. A chance to get hold of a new version of this game would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Ross
United Kingdom
Bedlington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BRING IT ON!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malross wrote:
BRING IT ON!!!

Now that you've started beating me at it Mal, I have to resort to changing the rules to start winning again

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jack,
Unfortunately I've never played Border Reivers, but if you want help playtesting 2nd Edition, count me in.

cheers
Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Pete,

Great - thanks!

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Little_Black_Dog wrote:
Hi Jack,
Unfortunately I've never played Border Reivers, but if you want help playtesting 2nd Edition, count me in.

cheers
Pete

Is that an option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Little_Black_Dog wrote:
if you want help playtesting 2nd Edition, count me in.

Is that an option?

Hiya Jae,

Yup. If you're interested too, drop me an email to jack at reivergames dot co dot uk.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmb
For very obvious reasons I'd love to see a new edition of this game .

I don't think my collection could be complete until I got hold of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Incoming Priority Message...
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested^2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo tambien.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack....If you ship cheaply to Japan then yes I have interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wales
United Kingdom
Kings Lynn
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Jack

After losing my copy at the first Birmingham games expo a few years (in a bag with a couple of other games) I did eventually manage to get my hands on a copy. I love these type of game and I really love this when I get a chance to play.

I would love to see a 2nd edition and you can put me down for a pre-order now. My copy has been used quite a bit. I'm a bit funny when it comes to board games I never have much time to think about changing mechanincs and just play them when I have a chance. When I like a game it will be played pretty much when I get a chance, when I don't they get hidden away. Border Reivers sits on the desk behind me with Pandemic and the new still unused limited Space Hulk. I always agreed that Mighty Empires can swing from Winning to losing in a turn, although I think it was part of the fun (sometimes). I do occasionally try out fan made mechanincs to see how they work out which can be fun but somtimes they mess a winning formula.

Saying that I would agree with Jae's comments, I would also like to see building counters to show the different buildings you have in play. I would also like to see change in the reinforcement gamble. I think if you pay for an army you should get that army, I could understand losing them a turn or so down the line with a freak event card, allegiance change card, bribery card or something else maybe.

Although saying that I do love this game and when you mentioned a company may be interested in publishing previously I was very excited. Your limited version will always have a special space on my game shelf even though it never gets there (there is no point in me having to keep running up and down the stairs to get it, could do with the exercise though) and it is really compact and as people always say 'good things come in small packages' how true here. I'm assuming the publishing never got any further which is a shame but with what you produce I think you can do it yourself and present another exceptional product.

If you want some playtesting on new rules just mail me, more than happy to help. I don't have much spare time but would be more than happy to help you with getting that 2nd Edition out, if push comes to shove I could get 1 or 2 evenings game play in a week.

Cheers

Kev

P.S. I'm not going to apologise for all the praise above, you did a fantastic job on this game, and a lot of big companies could learn a thing or 2 from you. Just for starters, we don't really need to pay £60 for a game when £40 of that is just for nice looking mini's. Sometimes simplicity is just beautiful, and takes up less space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Kev,

Thanks for the props, feedback and offer to playtest. I am now definitely working on a second edition, and if you're definitely up for helping to playtest (when the game gets a bit more finished) then please email me at: jack at reivergames dot co dot uk and I'll contact you when I've got something ready to send out.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How's this going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Wulf,

Making some progress - I want to get it to a more ready state before I send it out. All playtesting is on hold at the moment until after Essen, when I'll revisit everything!

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt reply. Have fun in York.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wales
United Kingdom
Kings Lynn
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Jack,

Just a quick message to see how thing are coming along. Are you going along to the Birmingham games expo again this year? I'm hoping to if money allows, not looking too hopefull at the moment. I missed last year certainly don't want to miss another year in a row.

All the best

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Kev,

I've done some work on a second edition, but it's still not good enough to send out to playtesters yet.

As for the Expo in June, I won't have a new game ready in time, so I'm not sure yet whether I'm intending to attend!

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
I discovered you and your game through your post about your trials as a publisher. Thank you for sharing. Of all of your games, BR is the most interesting to me because I've nothing like it in my collection. I will pay attention to updates you post here on BGG. Thank you,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Dragon,

Thanks for your interest in Border Reivers. Development of the second edition is stalled at the moment, but should it restart you'll hear about it here.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
Hiya Dragon,

Thanks for your interest in Border Reivers. Development of the second edition is stalled at the moment, but should it restart you'll hear about it here.

Cheers,

Jack

Hiya all,

I recently played a game of Border Reivers first edition and it got me thinking again about doing some work on a second edition. My first couple of thoughts are:
* 2-player only. It ground to halt due to turtling in a 3- or 4-player game more often than not, it also reduces the components by quite a lot!
* Reinforcement rolls. As Jae mentions above, it's not very popular and very swingy if someone gets lucky rolls. I really like the idea that you're not guaranteed reinforcements unless you really shell out for them, but getting an early army for free is a huge advantage (I should know, my recent opponent got free army reinforcements in the first three turns!). One idea I'm considering is spend as much money as you want plus a D4 roll, if the total is greater than or equal to 8 (for cards) or 12 (for armies) you get a reinforcement. That means you have to spend a reasonable amount for any chance and it reduces the range of the luck factor. For those who hate the whole gambling thing, you could have variant where you pay a fixed cost (6/10?), or choose whether or not to spend after the die roll.

Any thoughts from those who've played it before?

Anyway, it's back in my head and I'm thinking about it again. There's a few other ideas I've got floating around, but they're too ill formed to start discussing. For more info you can always keep an eye on my blog (http://creationandplay.blogspot.com), which is updated every Monday.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.