Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last days numerous submitted pictures were put into the "game" galleries, although they obviously showed painted figures (for "Shadows over Camelot", "Descent" ...).

If you upload a picture you are requested to check the correct box, whether your image belongs into the "game", "people" or "creative" gallery.

"Game" is only for stuff people get with the game as purchased. No altered components (and painted is altered, even in a miniature game)! People look at the "game" gallery to find our, if they want to buy this game and are rather disappointed, if they open the box after expecting the fantastically handpainted figures ("Bushido" is an example where this was discussed: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/350937).

"Creative" is the gallery fo altered components or fun situations or meeple before the real walls of real Carcassonne or whatever. Painted figures, Demo versions twice as large as the "original game", prototypes and 3D-versions shown at fairs belong here, too.

I know there are games, where the line is not quite clear, at least to people not familiar with the game, see "Blood Bowl" - so, please skip these, if you are unsure (geekmod) or explain in the caption, how this fits the gallery (uploaders)! Captions can be changed, if the game is approved.

I submitted a "correction" to the admins concerning "SoC" and had to check every single picture in the gallery for this ...

Geekmodding is much less fun, too, if you look up the gallery for a game, realize the image is submitted for the wrong gallery, check "decline" + "wrong category" and afterwards you see it was approved ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to make a similar post to this, having just declined a whole bunch of painted minis in geekmod.

I'm almost tempted to suggest there should be a separate category for painted miniatures - Even when categorized correctly, the hundreds of painted miniatures people feel compelled to look at can make it difficult to find the interesting (cakes, cool poses, et cetera) photos in some galeries. I realize this category wouldn't apply to many games (although it would certainly be a good idea for the forthcoming RPGGeek), but I think it would be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It has been frustrating me for a while that I decline pics of "altered components" only to see them get approved, even though it clearly states in the guidelines "image contains no altered components"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish there was an easy way to mass-fix this. With enough time, a database search on images with the caption "painted" or "miniatures" or
"fleet" or whatnot could probably be done (it'd still have to be manually checked, of course, but at least you'd be able to quickly validate them) to update the database.

It is, indeed, frustrating.

I mean, someone seeing this pic might really be interested in this game...

...until they found out upon buying it that:
- These are painted, and do not come like that at all
- The game doesn't even have a single miniature IN it, they all have to be purchased separately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, thinking about that - I'm not sure I ever use the 'categories' when looking at game galleries. For the games I'm interested in (wargames - often with custom play aids, games that have miniatures optional, etc), they are wrong darn near 100% of the time, so I inevitably have to dig up a review or read through the comments to find out what actual components are really IN the product.

Tremendously frustrating that sloppy geekmodding has rendered this feature (categories) completely useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Tremendously frustrating that sloppy geekmodding has rendered this feature (categories) completely useless.

Well, it is first because of image uploaders checking the wrong category. They should know at first, what they submit. Not every geekmod knows, what is exactly part of the game, what is not, and re-checking can be a hard thing to do. If you need a couple of minutes, the image in question may be approved already ...
Some people familiar to games susceptible for this may please check the image gallery and submit a correction to the admins, including the urls for the images. Then it is corrected quickly.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. I'll keep it in mind when modding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also nice are screen shots of computer games labelled as "Game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
duchamp wrote:
Geekmodding is much less fun, too, if you look up the gallery for a game, realize the image is submitted for the wrong gallery, check "decline" + "wrong category" and afterwards you see it was approved ...

That's why I advocate posting the earlier comments from GeekMods for the later Mods while the image is still in the queue. There are times I geekMod and forget to look at the category, or search to see if it is too similar but overlook something. But if I was given a heads up that a duplicate was found, or a better notice something is an altered component, I could more accurately log my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good example for how its is well done: BattleLore. Here the two galleries in question, and users should instantly be informed about what the game is, and what can be done with it:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/thing/25417?username=&so...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/thing/25417?username=&so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Topper Harley wrote:
Also nice are screen shots of computer games labelled as "Game".

Yeah that bugs me too. There really should be a separate category for 'computer versions' or, in my opinion, no computer screenshots.

Note: I'm being a little hypocritical, I've once uploaded a computer screenshot for ZiMP. Now I have changed my mind, if I had my way, there would be no computer images of implementations of boardgames at all.

Anyway. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a similar effort on Battlestar Galactica. When I want to include a picture of a game component, I kept tripping over painted minis and tons of home-made character cards.

I continue to decline based on category, and it's good when it matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.