Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there different sizes for elements depending on the scale of minis you use? I read that a blades element is 60x20 mm. Is this regardless of the mini scale or is it the specific size for 15mm minis? Mighty hard to fit 28mm minis on that element... And I've got quite a large D&D Miniatures collection I was planning on using with HOTT. Unfortunately I haven't received my rule book yet, so I'm still a bit clueless. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 60mm width is for 25mm figures. 15mm figures use 40mm bases. This basing system leaves figures more crowded than I like, and really does not work with a lot of 28mm figures, especially cavalry. I just put two figures on each base, instead of three or four.

Some people use larger bases for their own games, but they are not in the rulebook. You could probably find more ideas on larger bases at The Stronghold or the Yahoo group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get your Rule Book go to P.9
Basing Conventions it gives the base size & # of
recommended figs for different scales for all
the Elements.

A Blade for 15mm figs is 40mm x 15mm depth.
for 25-28mm figs it's 60mm x 20mm the recommended # of figs is 3-4

Actually base size isn't critical as long as both sides
use the some conventions.We play a 10mm Hyborian Age
using 40mmx40mm bases & simply note the correct base depth for recoil purposes.

We've also played HoTT using BattleMaster bases although
you need to increase the standard 2'x 2'play area.It's a
very versitle system but I prefer to use 10mm-6mm scales
for HoTT as IMO it gives the best visual effect.

The 3-4 figs recommended for the 28mm figs on a 60mmx20mm
base & calling it a regiment(or whatever looks silly)
but if you up the base size so you have 5-8 figs it
looks a lot better.You could up the base size & use
the 10mm or 6mm fig conventions.

It's really a great flexible system & base size & fig #
aren't set in stone.

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Crux of the matter is the base size of the individual minis I was planning to use. The regular (medium) sized minis have a 25mm diameter base. I was thinking about doing a type of base with round slots in it, in which I could insert the desired minis. 6x2 cm won't even hold three minis.

Guess I can't use the 900 minis I already own, without house ruling. As I'm not familiar with the rules I'm uncertain what the impact of enlarged bases are. What happens if I double the size of all bases? Would it change the game much?

Of course both sides would use the oversized bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to double every dimension to make it fit perfectly - so you'd need a 4'x4' table! Some of the base sizes are bigger for certain scales without changing the rest of the game, but they don't double in size!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base depths are recommended minima; using deeper ones is perfectly legitimate. The impact on gameplay is minor (and mostly detrimental to the troops so based), so nobody is likely to mind if your troops come on deeper bases.

Base widths are more important: I would strongly suggest sticking to rececommended widths of 40 or 60 mm depending on scale used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The size of the bases really doesn't matter
as long as both sides are the same.

Just remember if you increase the base size
to increase the playing area.HoTT is designed
for a 2'x 2'area double the size would
require a 4'x4' area.

The HoTT rule book makes this clear,the suggested
base size was keyed to DBA of which HoTT is an off shoot.

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Dwarf wrote:

Which is precisely why I recommend to stick to the recommended widths - there are a lot more people using those widths than any others, so sticking to them maximizes the number of people whose armies you can play against.

Of course, if you don't intend ever to play against someone else's armies, this is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcoteuthis wrote:
Old Dwarf wrote:

Which is precisely why I recommend to stick to the recommended widths - there are a lot more people using those widths than any others, so sticking to them maximizes the number of people whose armies you can play against.

Of course, if you don't intend ever to play against someone else's armies, this is irrelevant.
I'll never play other people's armies, I'll be the provider of toys for my Mrs and my mates. I play games with people I know and enjoy being with. Every time I've gone to a gaming club it's been a mix of socially inept mouth breathers, idiot savants and vampire live emo goth type of people. Ofcourse there are some genuinely nice people as well, but they are rare. Thus, I sucker friends into being gamers instead of trying to make friends out of gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sword of Gideon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ouch, that hurts. I feel for your predicament though.

I also tend to have people I know inadvertently reveal themselves to be gamers, and then, the GAME IS ON!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just scale up the standard 15mm HOTT bases to fit your 'giant' models. Ignore the suggested 25mm basing in the book, it sounds too small for your figure collection. The playing board would have to be scaled up as well, maybe at least 4' x 4'. As long as both sides in a game use the same basing conventions there should be no problem

The vast majority of organized DBA meetings around me use 15mm basing. HOTT tends to be 25mm or even bigger. I've seen a number of Warhammer stuff rebased for HOTT. Although all my HOTT armies (15) use 18mm metal figures.

15mm should be the length of any standing straight upright figure from feet to top of the head without headgear. Same for 25mm, 28mm or whatever. Most marketed 15mm figures are really 18 or even 20mm and many 28mm figures are really 30mm or larger. The 'suggested' bases in the rulebook are for 'true' 15 and 25mm figures and have a legacy that reaches back to the early 1970's and the WRG rules to enable existing armies to play DBA/HOTT without needing to be rebased.

I've even seen 54mm scale HOTT armies as well as LEGO armies on large boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.