Subject: A major advancement on the original. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Connect 4 was really just advanced noughts and crosses, tetris style. It was a fair game that surely most people have played at some stage in their lives, if not a little dated.

On the scene has just arrived: Connect 4x4 and I was surprised how much better this is compared to the original.

The dual layer alone adds enormously to the options and the strategy. In addition to your 17 pieces that slide into one of the two planes are two powerful blockers that block the same coordinate in both planes, even blocking empty spaces underneath, on one of the planes. Using up these rare and powerful items makes for some critical choices about when and where these should be played.

But the third great improvement on the design was to allow for 2, 3 or 4 players to play this game and it seems to play well with any number of these players. Sometimes two or more players need to work together to stop a player from winning. At other times you can just advance your own position and leave it to the folowing one or two players to save the day.

I would classify this version of Connect 4 as approaching, if not quite in the class of that excellent game:Blokus. If you liked Blokus, you're probably going to enjoy this too.

It's cheap enough as well. I picked up the game for barely more than the price of a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pix plz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this up over the weekend and I gotta say, I think it has been the best "update" or whatever of our old games we played as a kid. The only problem I see is I couldn't get anyone to play connect 4 then (except my little brother who really wasn't a challenge) and now I only have 2 kids (who aren't a challenge...... yet) The see-thru design and the ring and checker pieces are really cool looking too. I'm glad I did get it, hope to play 4 serious players soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.