Pax Baltica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Of Forts and Ukrainians rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you fight against a fort, are there three rounds of combats like in an open battle? We first assumed there was only one, but that seemed to make Str 4 fortresses way too hard to conquer.

Also, if a siege attempt fails, the attacker does not have to retreat, correct?

Over to the Ukrainians, is there any way for the Russians to get the Ukraine back? First time round, we played that the Ukraine went back to Russian control as soon as the Mazepa block was eliminated, but we couldn't today find anything in the rulebook to support this. Does the Ukraine rejoin Russia if it it signs a truce?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also; if player 1 announces a siege attempt, and player 2 subsequently attacks the area in question, what happens? Is the siege resolved before the open battle, after it, somehow during it, or not at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all. Why?
In the example you describe, player 1 is the attacker as he is trying to besiege a city controlled by player 2. When player 2 moves into that same territory, the siege attempt is broken off and replaced by an ordinary combat.
This is not clear in the rules and we will have it updated in the 1.1 rules, which will be freely downloaded from the 3cg.se website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Garrisons (or Forts as you say), you only have one siege attempt per payed action. (As per 3.43) Combat round go 3 turns, siege attempts do not.
Str.4 Garrisons where historically hard to conquer. Riga, for example, was not conquered until 1710 after a 8 months long siege.

Correct, a failed siege attempt do not force the attacker to retreat.

Ah, the Ukrainians...
First I would like to say that this will be clarified in the 1.1 version of the rules.
You played correctly the first time. Kill Mazepa or if there is a truce between Russia and Ukraine (as per Russian National Event Table; die roll 4), Russia regains Ukraine and their lost Replacement Points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Höglund
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question on siege
Quote:
Not at all. Why?
In the example you describe, player 1 is the attacker as he is trying to besiege a city controlled by player 2. When player 2 moves into that same territory, the siege attempt is broken off and replaced by an ordinary combat.
This is not clear in the rules and we will have it updated in the 1.1 rules, which will be freely downloaded from the 3cg.se website.

So all siege attempts takes place after the action phase and not instantly when you declare the attempt (during the action phase)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. In the Action Phase you only "Declare a Siege attempt" as per written in the 3.2 and 3.3 rule. (This is so that your opponent knows what you do with your actions and where you will perform the Siege attempt.)
In the Combat phase, Siege attempts may be performed if there are no enemy blocks in the same territory. (3.43)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.