Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding the example on page A12, top left corner. The example shows a level one obstacle on a level one hill (I3). It shows H2 as a blind hex on a level one hill, but is measured 2 hexes away on a level two hill (J4). Since J4 is equal to the level of the obstacle in I3, shouldn't H2 be visible? Am I misreading what they mean as height equivalent, or is this a print error?

thanks,
Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

J4 is actually higher than the obstacle in I3, but it doesn't matter. The number of blind hexes cannot be reduced below one (unless you're dealing with non-cliff crestlines)(A6.42).

I found the chapter K LOS tutorial particularly helpful in pointing out the nuances of dealing with height affecting LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help. I remember now. Just dusting off the cobwebs .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hank__hill wrote:
I have a question regarding the example on page A12, top left corner. The example shows a level one obstacle on a level one hill (I3). It shows H2 as a blind hex on a level one hill, but is measured 2 hexes away on a level two hill (J4).

J4 is a level 3 hill, not a level 2 hill.

Quote:
Since J4 is equal to the level of the obstacle in I3, shouldn't H2 be visible?

As above, J4 is level 3, thus it's higher than the obstacle in I3. If it were equal, then none of the level 1 hexes would be visible at all. You have to be higher than the obstacle to see over it, regardless of how the blind hexes work out otherwise. And, as Devon said, all "real" obstacles (i.e. not just crestlines) always cast at least a single blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.