Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote from a movie. I'm thinking it's an old (black-and-white) one, but...

Story was told in the movie of a man that fell out of a building (NOT a skyscraper, 'La Haine' is not the movie in question). I'm pretty sure it was specifically identified as a "ten story building". As he passed each floor, the people heard him saying "so far, so good".

I was 90% sure this was from 'Key Largo', but Googling and Binging any version of the phrase and movie title together is turning up nothing. (Aside: Bing is actually turning up a hell of a lot more relevant/closer results than Google. Interesting. I mean, Google isn't even in the ballpark.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Steve McQueen said something like that in "The Magnificent Seven".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwen wrote:
Steve McQueen said something like that in "The Magnificent Seven".

Bingo! That must be it - we just recently watched this on 'Netflix'.

With that info, the full quote:

Quote:
Reminds me of that fella back home who fell off a ten-story building. As he was falling, people on each floor kept hearing him say, "So far, so good." Heh, so far, so good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
(Aside: Bing is actually turning up a hell of a lot more relevant/closer results than Google. Interesting. I mean, Google isn't even in the ballpark.)

Your Google-Fu is lacking.

I searched for ten story building so far so good quote in Google, and the reference to The Magnificent Seven was the fourth hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, once you know for sure what the phrase is, yeah, it's easier to find.

I was trying variants of "10th floor", "tenth floor", "ten stories", "so far, so good" (on its own), "movie", etc.

It doesn't help that somebody appears to have (somewhere along the lines) misquoted that to be 'falling of a skyscraper' and that he was heard saying that 'as he passed the tenth floor'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

I was trying variants of "10th floor", "tenth floor", "ten stories", "so far, so good" (on its own), "movie", etc.

It doesn't help that somebody appears to have (somewhere along the lines) misquoted that to be 'falling of a skyscraper' and that he was heard saying that 'as he passed the tenth floor'.

But "ten story building" and "so far so good" were phrases you used in your original post, before you knew what the film was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
XanderF wrote:

But "ten story building" and "so far so good" were phrases you used in your original post, before you knew what the film was.

Believe it or not, at the time I typed them, I had no idea they were verbatim from the quote. Ergo, the time spent on "10th floor", et al.

This is also a lesson to take one's subconscious more seriously!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.