Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Mowat
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received a copy of Asia Engulfed for my birthday. After gleefully tearing off the plastic, I quickly scanned the contents, intent to get down to the business of applying hundreds of stickers. I found a "Quick Start - Read this first!" card that gave some helpful tips on how to prep the game for play, but there was one instruction that made me wrinkle my nose:

Quote:
Caring for the cardboard counters - Before punching the counters from the countersheets, we recommend spraying them with a light coat of clear spray-on finish (matte is preferred to glossy). This will protect the counters from finger oils and extend their life.

Did (or does) anybody actually do this? I can understand wanting to protect the counters from wear and tear, but I would think that this could have been something that was done during assembly if it is a concern.

Needless to say, I didn't apply any spray-on finish. I guess I'll have to take my chances. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered the same thing. I don't spray my counters, but others do. For more info, check out these threads:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1922788

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2800531
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mowat
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, thanks for the links. I now understand that I am not alone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never done anything more with counters than punch them out, and even sometimes use fun-tack to hold them on a map on the wall. I have never had any problems beyond occasionally the paper printing peeling off, which is easily fixed with white glue in seconds.

If you play a game enough to wear out the cardboard counters through ordinary use, I think so much enjoyment has been gained that another purchase of a new one is a worthwhile investment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markluta wrote:
I have never done anything more with counters than punch them out, and even sometimes use fun-tack to hold them on a map on the wall. I have never had any problems beyond occasionally the paper printing peeling off, which is easily fixed with white glue in seconds.

If you play a game enough to wear out the cardboard counters through ordinary use, I think so much enjoyment has been gained that another purchase of a new one is a worthwhile investment!

Exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkFib3r wrote:

Quote:
Did (or does) anybody actually do this? I can understand wanting to protect the counters from wear and tear, but I would think that this could have been something that was done during assembly if it is a concern.

Needless to say, I didn't apply any spray-on finish. I guess I'll have to take my chances. whistle

I have been playing wargames for years and I have never sprayed my counters. I just buy a new copy if they wear out or the counters get super oily with fingerprints! My two cents worth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.