Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Pivot Pool is a vintage table top billiards game published in the 1970s. The large 32 inch by 19 inch table is a relatively accurate recreation of a typical pool table. It features a spring-loaded rotating "shooter" that is used to propel the cue ball in the proper direction.

This unusual dexterity challenge was endorsed by TV star Lucille Ball. I didn’t really understand why this game would feature a picture of Lucy until I knocked a few balls around the table. More on that later...

Pivot Pool is played like any standard game of billiards. A set of 15 balls are arranged in a conventional rack and the shooter is loaded and discharged to begin the game. Play proceeds according to a typical round of pool with a few important exceptions.

Since the cue ball must be returned to the pivot device after each shot the placement strategies used on a full-sized pool table disappear. Players can still attempt to set up the next shot but the concept of leaving the cue ball in an advantageous position is completely ignored in Pivot Pool.

The balls are relatively light and do not travel well. Most of the action takes place at one end of the table unless an exceptionally powerful (or exceptionally sloppy) shot scatters some of the billiard balls.

When determining the velocity of the cue ball the rotating pivot device offers an illusion of control. This technique is difficult to translate into accurate shooting. The bumpers are thick elastic bands (in my thrift store copy they still had plenty of spring left in them) that send the balls careening across the table. The game is random and chaotic... like Lucy working on the assembly line at the candy factory.

I paid a couple of bucks for this game and consider it to be money well spent. While it will not appeal to serious players, Pivot Pool might be a fun item to buy for the kids to fool around with if you see the game at a thrift store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bolderson
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a copy as a kid, it lived under my bed and got played nearly nightly. I used to be pretty good at it (in my own not so humble opinion). Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also remember having and playing this game. Don't remember what happened to ours though. Not that I regret not having it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember not having it, playing it, and wanting it badly. On my "Wants in trade" now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great great game.

I wonder if it's just the age, but our copy all those years ago had fantastic control on the shooter. You could pull it back a tiny bit for light shots, or all the way for hard shots, and multiple spots in between. I believe there were 4 or 5 spots it locked onto for shot strength.

Our balls weren't light at all, and were always all over the table, often times behind the shooter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.