Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to ask. Anyone see a way to play it with maybe a dummy 3rd player.
draw cubes from the back for his bid - highest cubes color match is the bid? divy out as normal, except dummy doesn't need to keep his winnings.
Just a thought, in case someone besides me has a need for all games to be 2-player for about...8 more years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2-players only variant?
Cool idea, Scott. In an early prototype I had two "Ghost Trolls" that would act as dummy players (one was "Greedy Troll" who always took the highest-valued toll card; the other was "Hungry Troll" who always took the highest food value showing). In that version players could just draw a random bidding card for each dummy troll and take things from there--but in the published version bidding cards have been (thankfully) replaced by boulders which work quite a bit differently. Your idea of taking the highest bid showing in a single color (drawn randomly from a bag, yes?) might just work--at any rate let us all know if you try it and how it works for you! Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pearsons
United States
Western Massachusetts
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also be interested in a functional two-player variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

My copy is on its way from Boards & Bits, and outside of my local gaming group(s), it'll just be my wife and me playing (until the little guy gets a bit older). So I'm sure I'll be wanting a 2-player version as well...

I've read with interest the above comments, and if I have anything useful to add, I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unoffical 2-Player Variant
Setup Changes:

Use the 3 Player weather card.
Remove Jesters from deck.
Play with 4 colors of cubes, 6 cubes each color.
6 cubes of one color given to each player as per normal.

Game-play
During bidding, players will bid 0-2 colors in their closed fist.

Each color is a separate bid. Take the trophy marker same as normal depending on who bid most. The twist is: each bid will receive its own trophy marker.

If a player bids 1 color or no bid at all, that player will take one of the left over trophy markers, using it for a closed bridge as per normal.

Players who have a Bridge Closed marker goes first. They take cubes 3 X the number of open bridges from the supply or if none exist in the supply, the player with the most (unless they already have the most)
AND turn in cards for points immediately (unless they choose not to, of course).

Each player who is Open will take 1 card per bid in the order of the trophy markers as per normal, except EACH trophy marker is used to take a card per card-drawing round before the player with the 1st trophy marker goes again.

You may take upgrades per turn, 1 for any closed bridge(s) and 1 for any open bridge(s).

Retrieve cubes per normal rules, one retrieval per bid.

edit: to reflect recent findings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still like to see a variant with some sort of dummy... err... dummier? troll, but this seems like a fine way to play with just 2. Clever work to keep a 4 player feel to the bidding but not really change any other aspects of the game. Let us know how any playtesting goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3x number of open bridges is okay.
Use only 6 of the 4 colors total in the game. All 9 didn't work well enough for my taste. Anymore changes I didn't see yet. Oh turning in for a bridge improvement on closed and then the open bridges would be okay. So 2 per round per player but only 1 in each part (closed/open bridge). Gives incentive to close bridge perhaps as well.

update: after a few more 2-player games, it seems to work. Low boulder count definitely needed e.g. bids of 8-9 were too common, and not fun. Low count=lower bids so it doesn't get out of control.

Had a little trouble with knowledge of the cards and closing one side down, so you can turn in cards on the closed-bridge side and not get hit with the bad cards soon taken thereafter. The change of closed bridges going first does affect this. hmm...

update: Seems the bad card knowledge and when to close down, is just another tactic that comes up...both players can gain from this maneuver, and it felt okay, and not "too good" and definitely not "broken" or "one-sided", or any other catch-phrase you can think of along the same lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Roberts
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Variant Scott!
Since I'll mainly be playing two player, I'll let you know how it goes, so far though, the lower bidding helps...
Well Done!thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.