Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Kelly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having got a single F-1 race under my belt, I thought it was time to try out the Street Race rules (basic). To be honest, I wasn't expecting too much after reading comments around the web from F-1 fans, but I thought the idea sounded fun, so wanted to give it a try.

GAME 2
(1 player, 4 cars, 2 laps, Race City, street race basic rules)

The night time color of the map really helped to make it feel like an illegal street race. The basic rules are pretty much the same as F-1 racing, but the game felt different... not more exciting exactly, but a different kind of excitement.

I noticed in my first game that one lap is never enough, so will always go for 2 laps now.

With basic rules, the road debris in the danger zone wasn't a problem as you only roll for damage if you land on the space (which I read as stop on the space). I notice the advanced rules require rolls for just passing over the debris, but this seemed the right way to do it for a basic game.

I really liked the long straight, which would cause roaring engines... right as "The engines are howling..." rule comes into play and a resident takes pot shots at passing cars. I thought this was silly when I read about it online, but in the game itself, it was a nice additional hazard to worry about.

Then came the police station. The first car passed by quickly, and I looked for somewhere to mark his speed... but, sadly, there is nowhere. Again, I didn't want to use pencil/paper, so I just kept the speeds in my head since the cars were close together. I will need to think of a way to easily track this for future games.

Other than the difficulty to track it, I liked the police station boost to WP for the fastest car. The race leader was pushing his car to the limit, and relying on getting those WP. Sadly, someone took a bigger risk and beat him.

The bonus WP when you complete a lap is essential to these street races. With the extra hazards, you end up barely making it to the end of a lap.

A few cars did reach 6th gear on this map, and the total race lasted about an hour and a half. One car was totaled.

Summary:
While I know a lot of Formula De converts love only the F-1 racing, and the name of the game implies that type of racing, it is important to make up your own mind. I am torn between the two race types (basic rules) and would gladly play either. I think I might even prefer the street race for the extra hazards. I'm not sure if it'll feel the same with a daylight map, but night set the tone perfectly.

Can't wait to get more cars and maps for street racing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.