Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Braun
United States
Pawtucket
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my collection is about 35 games. There are some games we play a lot and some we don't play so much. So what do you all do with the games you don't play much? Let them sit in the closet and bring them out every so often? Or do you trade or sell them away? Or hope that time will help spark your interest in them again?

What goes into your decision making process when you decide that you have had enough of a certain game? Or you keep every game you ever bought and played?

I can imagine that one could get tired of playing a certain game too much.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I obviously have high tolerance for leaving games around unplayed, considering I have several hundred games.

That said, I've been embarked on a major culling effort over the past couple of years and eBay-ed off or given away a couple hundred more games that were extremely unlikely to ever see my game table again.

There are reasons to keep a game that I won't play.

In some cases it's simple nostalgia or have some personal significance. I don't know if I'll ever play Tac Air again. but I keep it because my old Cold War unit in Germany is a counter in it. I've written a few articles for magazines such as S&T and Command, so I keep games like Borodino: Doomed Victory or End of Empire: The French and Indian War and the American Revolution despite the fact that they are so errata-filled that they aren't worth trying to play, because I happened to be published in those issues.

Some games have historical or collection significance. I keep my copy of 1914 for that reason.

Some games aren't really necessarily about playing anyway, but are more like a historical study in game form. Harpoon 4 and This Hallowed Ground stay on my shelf for that reason.

That still left me with quite of few games, mostly wargames, that were unlikely to ever see the table and had no other good reason for taking up my space. It wasn't always easy to part with them, but I have to say that having parted with them I haven't missed them.

I still have more games than I can reasonable play unless I start having a lot more free time, so unless I hit the lottery I think I can probably cut back some more. That's one benefit of logging plays on BGG. I have a pretty good record of the games I actually play (as opposed to the ones I think I've played. More than one game has gotten the axe because it hadn't seen the table since I was skinny.

What to keep is a personal decision, of course, and can depend on things like available space and frequency of moves (If I ever have to move again I'm pretty sure half the games will not come along). But I figure that in most cases a game's purpose is to get played, and if I'm not going to play it then I should try to get it into the hands of someone who will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I hate the game, I'll sell it or trade it. If I like it I keep it.

FOREVER...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Harry Plopper wrote:
So my collection is about 35 games. There are some games we play a lot and some we don't play so much. So what do you all do with the games you don't play much? Let them sit in the closet and bring them out every so often? Or do you trade or sell them away? Or hope that time will help spark your interest in them again?

What goes into your decision making process when you decide that you have had enough of a certain game? Or you keep every game you ever bought and played?

Games I'm not playing, go away. Sale, trade, gifts, use the parts for design - whatever makes the most sense.

Having said that, I only need to play a game once every five years to potentially be worth keeping. It really depends upon the game - Ironman Football and Mare Mediteraneum offer unique experiences; they aren't great games, but they are games you can tell stories about, so they stick around. On the other hand, if I don't play Lucky Loop - which I do enjoy more than most on BGG - every now and again, it will go - there are lots of good alternatives.

I currently have 36 games I haven't played since 2006 in my collection (not counting one I've never played, but just acquired). In all 36 cases, I will either play the game or get rid of it by the end of next year. (If I play it, the result might still be to get rid of it, of course.) Either works; there are a number of games that are safe - I'm sure the choice will be to play them - but most of them won't bother me either way. My favorite games I aim to get to the table every year, so they never get into this state.

If I get interested again later, I pick the game up again. And - inevitably so far - eventually get rid of the game again, for the same reason I did the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a dedicated (albeit small) games room, so space issues aren't a problem. I have about 250 games/expansions, many of which are print-and-play and magazine games, so my collection doesn't actually take up a lot of space. I guess that's the long way around of saying space isn't a factor for me in deciding what to keep and what to get rid of.

If I've lost interest in playing a game, it may end up on the trade list. Even if I think I might not play it again, it may end up on the trade list, although that doesn't mean I'll actively seek out a trade for it (it's there just in case somebody offers me something I'd be willing to trade it for). If I have decided I really don't like a game or every gamer I know has the game (Settler, Puerto Rico, etc.), then I might put the game into the local math trade.

Now, I'll keep games that may never hit the table again for a variety of reasons. I'll never get rid of my copy of Supremacy because of the nostalgia factor. I won't get rid of Betrayal at House on the Hill because it's out of print, even though it hits the table very rarely. I probably won't trade off anything with certain themes just because they appeal to me and I like having them around. I keep certain games, like Ludus Gladiatorius, because I use the pieces for other games.

I'm sure I can find many reasons/excuses why I keep certain games in my collection, even though they rarely or never get played.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have a game that I never play and don't believe I'll play again, if I know someone who would enjoy the game, I'll usually give the game to them.

If that's not the case, then I'll try to sell them online.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do beyond that - I have 24 DVD Board Game and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King sitting on my shelf - I would consider it a disservice to give them away to anyone I like, and nobody has offered to give me even $5 for either of them... they may at some point just fine their way into the trash bin.

Of course, Astro Boy Saves the Universe Game also sits on my shelf and will never get played again, but my wife gave this to me as a wedding gift because of my love for Astro-boy, so that one will always remain in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good game = keep
Bad game = trade

Does not matter to me if it doesn't get played for years. I'll try to bring it to the table one day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I currently have 58 games listed on BGG. I play only 2 of these. Maybe another 2 of the them occasionally

They're not going anywhere though, I'm more than happy for them to sit on the shelf until one day I can persuade friends to play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.