Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Peck is running a simple, free, email driven Go service. You don't need an account, just the email address of your opponent. I just started playing with this, but so far I'm quite impressed.

The service

The code

My comments and pictures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Is there a reason to prefer it to dragongoserver.net?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Is there a reason to prefer it to dragongoserver.net?

I don't see them competing at all. They fill different spaces. DGS is a more complete, more complicated system that maintains your userid, tracks rankings, helps you find opponents, etc.

Peck's service is drop-dead simple to use, and good for tracking a game between two people who already know each other. I just started a game there with my regular face-to-face opponent. I didn't have to ask him to go create an account or jump through any hoops. He got the email saying, "Hey it's your turn. Go click your move," and that's it. We were up and running immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lynch
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board is blank for me - using Firefox or IE. Neat idea, but I can't seem to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vultur wrote:
Board is blank for me - using Firefox or IE. Neat idea, but I can't seem to use it.

So you see the gameboard itself, but can't place any stones? Or the board itself doesn't appear after you've started a game?

I've been using this site nearly every day since I first posted about it, and I haven't seen any problems like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lynch
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I messed with it some more and it seems that if you set your name with quotes the board doesn't appear.

My "blank" games used the name: Jim "Vultur" Lynch. It seems to work when I just use Vultur.

I pinged Dave and he is looking at it.

I think is it a great vehicle for playing with someone new to Go that isn't really ready to commit to registering and playing frequent games. For example, I got my 11 year old nephew to start playing, but he isn't a Go fanatic. I think an occasional email (rather than having to log in to a server) is just about the right level of commitment for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.