Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Kelly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With three games under my belt, it was time to not only try my last circuit, Sebring, but also attempt advanced rules and see if the game was still fun.

GAME 4
(1 player, 5 cars, 2 laps, Sebring, F-1 advanced rules)

The advanced rules are definitely a lot more complicated, and you suddenly have to really think about all of your actions. This, coupled with constantly flicking through the rules to look up something, meant that the game moved a lot slower. I'm sure this will improve when I get used to the rules.

The biggest transition was going from a pool of 18WP to suddenly dealing with Tires (6WP), Breaks (3WP), Gearbox (3WP), Car Body (3WP), Engine (3WP), Road Handling (2WP). The downside is how much time it takes to think about when to break hard, skip gears, overshoot a corner, etc. The upside, for me, was that cars were forced to be more careful, which led to them moving closer together... which of course led to more collisions.

The leading car on lap 1 lost his last tire WP and spun out with one more corner before the pits. He had to drive very cautiously to avoid being eliminated, and was passed by two cars. He made it to the pits okay though.

Now the pits, on this track at least, seemed to suck up way too much time. By the time he left with his new tires, two cars were now two corners ahead of him, and the other two were just approaching the second corner. He never did manage to regain his lead, though he caught up with the trailing two cars eventually.

After the first lap, I noticed that I'd been making a silly mistake, and over damaging my cars when skipping gears. For some reason, if I went down two gears, I knew I was skipping, and I thought 2 gears, so damaged the car as if it skipped 2 gears (change down 3). This lead to cars being really beat up. Hopefully nobody else makes this mistake. I blame the fact that I was just learning advanced rules, and playing 5 cars, solo.

Summary

The corners and the long straights make this a fun track, but it does mean that stopping in the pits puts you way behind (unless you get lucky).

I did enjoy the track circuit, but think that the surrounding graphics are very bland on this one. I'm glad there are no silly characters like I see on the Formula De tracks, but even the few places where vehicles were marked, they were haphazardly parked. I think it could have looked a lot nicer... maybe even put some sheep and cows in the surrounding fields.

I'm not sure how I feel about the advanced rules so far. The game was very different from the basic rules, more strategic, but slower and not quite as much fun. I will keep playing it to get used to it and hope things improve, but my fallback will be the basic rules, that I know I really enjoy.

I found Elmonty's reference sheet after my game which I will definitely use in future. There are other ones here which have nice graphics, but I find this plain and easy to find what I want:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/36931
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Meadows
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

I really like the advanced rules, though I haven't yet tried any of the even more advanced optional rules (such as weather effects and such). I find that the strategy of the normal advanced rules really hits the sweet spot for me.

Sebring is one of my favorite race tracks (thanks to Forza 2 on the XB360). Just one item of note about it: There really aren't fields right there on the grounds (that would be visible in the board game art). It's built on the site of an old airport, and even uses some of the old runways (the airport still occupies the site, but not that portion of it).

Sebring on Google Maps
(for some reason, this link places the camera just southeast of the track. You'll have to scroll a tiny bit to the northwest to see it)

Maybe, since it's in Florida, they could draw an alligator or two that may have wandered up into the site. Imagine that road hazard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kelly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I see what you mean. I was only half joking about sheep. The map is accurate... just seems a little bland, but when it's based on reality, and the reality is bland, there isn't much you can do

As I said, the advanced rules are quite a leap from basic rules, and since I was playing solo, it made things a bit complicated initially... but I'm looking forward to getting more used to them and seeing how things play out.

Then I just need to find some local players to join the races.

Forza 2 is a great game as well. I got that a couple of months back.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in my report how much I enjoyed the Slisptreaming rule. It really helped to keep the cars in a tight group, and often allowed a car to get into a corner that he would previously have fallen short of, getting that first stop.

I did roll for collision though, when I slipstreamed around a car and stopped in front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Meadows
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny. Slipstreaming is one of those rules that I don't really follow very well, so I haven't tried to use it. Of course, maybe if I tried to use it more, I might develop an understanding of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kelly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it the easiest of the advanced rules to pick up. I play it so you still can't swerve all around the track, so sometimes you are unable to slipstream. So if you moved from the left most lane across two lanes to be behind someone, you can't then move left a lane slipstream past them.

It's a fun little addition, and much easier than figuring out tires and weather effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.