Boardgaming Schmoe
msg tools
The other favorites are Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Betrayal at House on the Hill and Risk 2210 A.D. Just for a little background, and to those who looked at my profile, didn't have much luck with War of the Ring (my fault however, since its pretty complex to teach when you haven't really played it much), and card games I own--usually were fun initially, although they would bore of them after a few play throughs (with exception to Race for the Galaxy--my personal favorite game, and one in the group likes to play it, but the other one in the group hates the game). Haven't really played Bolide or Descent.

Looking at what was successful and something that seems to be along the lines of Puerto Rico, Power Grid, and Settlers of Catan, I was thinking Agricola, maybe Caylus and/or Carcassone

Also, I'd like to try out Battlestar Galatica and Space Alert, but from what I read, its not so hot with less people (supposedly better with 4+). What about Galaxy Truckers, hows it for 3?

Looking at how they like Betrayal at House on the Hill, Was thinking of maybe one of the zombie games such as Last Night on Earth or Mall of Horror would be great, but same deal: supposedly better with more players. Maybe Arkham Horror?

While Risk:2210 was great, didn't have much luck with WotR, which seems to be a better game for either 2 or 4 players, but will try again in the future--same case with Battlelore and World of Warcraft...speaking of World of Warcraft, it suffers from not only needless complexity, but just taking too long to transition/setup initially and while playing, and way too much downtime...neat concept otherwise...I really enjoy war games of all levels of play (just not always the best teacher for these however) and would like to hook them if possible with a really great one (I realize its a bit generic of a request, but love to have the recommendations)

I did plan on seeing how Bolide & Descent work out, but I'd like to purchase another game soon, and thought I'd get some input/advice.

Also, just as a FYI: I generally like to browse the recommendations forum, so I'm hoping I'm not asking a specific question that has been answered a thousand times, but if you think there is a thread I may have missed, feel free to link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmello Chiara
msg tools
mb
Though it's anywhere from 2-4 players right now, Dominion is a blast. Everyone I play it with loves it, whether its 2, 3, or 4 people. I have Carcassonne too, and if you like Settlers you might like that. I haven't played it too much. I actually LOVE it, but everyone I play it with needs a little more coaxing I think haha. I'm not sure how it would be with 3 people. Only ever played it with 5 or 6.

I played Descent yesterday for the first time and MAN that is an awesome game. Complex to a degree but a ton of fun. Definitely a jump up from something like Power Grid or Puerto Rico. To me it sounds like your group would love Agricola actually. I've never played it, but from what I can tell the theme of it might be exactly what you all seem to like. Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola, Cuba, Kingsburg, or Pandemic seem like possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyros!
Tyros is a Martin Wallace game of building a trading empire in the ancient Mediterranean. I once introduced it to a bunch of heavy Settlers players and they promptly kicked my butt. They played well due to superior card trading strategies. Anyway, Tyros is one of my 10s. If you can find a copy, it rocks. It works with three or four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgaming Schmoe wrote:
Looking at what was successful and something that seems to be along the lines of Puerto Rico, Power Grid, and Settlers of Catan, I was thinking Agricola, maybe Caylus and/or Carcassone

Agricola would certainly be worth trying out, but might be expensive if you can't try before you buy. Haven't played Caylus, Carcassone never grabbed me (not a bad game, just not a great one either).

Also, I'd like to try out Battlestar Galatica and Space Alert, but from what I read, its not so hot with less people (supposedly better with 4+). What about Galaxy Truckers, hows it for 3?

BSG plays fine with 3; it's probably better with 4+, but I've still enjoyed my 3 player games.
Space Alert would probably be fine with 3 experienced players, but I'm not sure I'd want to climb the learning curve a player down.
I've only played one game of Galaxy Trucker, but it was a three player game. I had fun, even though I got creamed (playing against two experienced players); not a very wide experience base, though.

I really enjoy war games of all levels of play (just not always the best teacher for these however) and would like to hook them if possible with a really great one (I realize its a bit generic of a request, but love to have the recommendations)

Have you looked at Neuroshima Hex!? I find it to be a pretty good light wargame: pretty quick to teach, but with difficult tactical choices and good replay value. A bit more abstract than the usual cardboard wargame, but if you've got a group that plays Euros that shouldn't be a problem. And it plays 3 as independent sides, so you aren't forced to play 2 vs. 1 (like you would for WotR).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was thinking Agricola, maybe Caylus and/or Carcassone

Carcassonne may not have enough going on for your group if they're used to Settlers, Power Grid, and Puerto Rico; I'd skip it.

Agricola is a favorite of mine, but it does have a bit of setup time, and takes a bit to explain. A great game, if your group can be patient.

Caylus seems most likely of the three you mention. Simple rules, plenty of options each turn, and ability to change strategies mid-game.

Quote:
Was thinking of maybe one of the zombie games such as Last Night on Earth or Mall of Horror would be great, but same deal: supposedly better with more players. Maybe Arkham Horror?

Arkham Horror is a lot longer than Betrayal on House Hill, and may well have too much setup/complexity/downtime for your group.

As for other people's recs above, many people enjoy Dominion, but it's hard to tell whether your friends will until they play it. I'd have to agree with indigopotter that Kingsburg seems like a good bet. Some of the same dice-rolling resource-gathering of Settlers, but with less endless trading and more worker placementy goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal favourites with 3P (in order):
Condottiere
Taluva
Biblios
Goa
Stone Age
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Carolus Magnus
Nexus Ops
Through the Desert

but you also want to look here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/32393
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/41457
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31521
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17016

Also, every game has--near the top of the listing--a "User Suggested # of Players." Check it for the games that interest you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Truckers works just fine for 3. The price is a bit steep, though.

Other games I would recommend for 3 players:
O Zoo le Mio
Condottiere (partly due to Tommynomad, there)
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game
Red November
Pack & Stack
El Grande (yes, I know it's better with 4)
Great Wall of China

And I would check out the rules for Sumeria:http://www.reivergames.co.uk/Sumeria/rules.php

I think that might work well for you as well, though I haven't tried it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.