Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42» Forums » General

Subject: Tide of Iron rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Hey,

My only other experience with war games is Tide of Iron. I love ToI, but the set up and play time can be a bit of a pain in the butt sometimes. I'm looking for a game that still has around the same level of depth with a shorter set up time. Does this game fit the bill?

I don't want a war game that's too simple. I like having a lot of options available to me. I'm always a little sad that most of the things I would like my infantry to do I can't do unless I have the right card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, I think this game has a lot more depth than Tide of Iron.

The additive system in TOI is especially simplistic, you can have cases where one mortar has essentially zero chance of damaging a tank, but two or three mortars firing together are very likely to do so.

Setup in COH is definitely simpler and easier, for the obvious reason that you don't have all of those plastic figures to put in bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Hey,

My only other experience with war games is Tide of Iron. I love ToI, but the set up and play time can be a bit of a pain in the butt sometimes. I'm looking for a game that still has around the same level of depth with a shorter set up time. Does this game fit the bill?

I don't want a war game that's too simple. I like having a lot of options available to me. I'm always a little sad that most of the things I would like my infantry to do I can't do unless I have the right card.

I'm not sure which game you are referring to about not being able to have your infantry do things without the right card (that sounds like Memoir '44 or Battlelore, not ToI or CoH).

At any rate, CoH has a short set up time and a short play time. As with any wargame, it will take you some time to read the rules and play a couple games to figure everything out.

If you follow the programmed instructions and play solo at the proper locations in the rules book, you will have a solid understanding of the rules after completing the programmed learning and reading the rule book. After one play of the game F2F, your opponent will also have a good grasp of the rules. By your second F2F game, you will be able to experience the depth of the game and the infinite tactics that are available to you.

See my review where I compare CoH to ToI, and see if it's your cup of tea: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/352674

Cheers. And Happy gaming.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian F
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually gave up on TOI and am currently playing the hell out of this game - this is what I was looking for in the first place , TOI can be fun at times , it just got to be more of a bother to play than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wyrm187 wrote:
I actually gave up on TOI and am currently playing the hell out of this game - this is what I was looking for in the first place , TOI can be fun at times , it just got to be more of a bother to play than anything else.

seconded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year when I was looking for my first WWII wargame, TOI was a main contender. The set up time and the fiddliness of the bits and pieces were what eventually made me go with Conflict of Heroes instead. A year later and I'm still playing COH fairly regularly (3 games in the last week) and I have no regrets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play and love both for different reasons. Had however CoH come with miniatures rather than counters I don't think I ever would've played TOI anymore...( I find it aesthetically more pleasing).The rules in CoH allow for much more flexibility and they also seem more realistic on the whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
wyrm187 wrote:

seconded

I really, really love ToI. As a game. It looks great, has gobs of dice, and is easy to learn. As a simulation, it sucks.

CoH is a better simulation, plays faster, and is also easy to learn.

As another poster said, I love them both for different reasons.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Hey,

CoH: AtB is a perfect choice! CoH: AtB offers the same (or even some more) depth but the set up time is considerable shorter. The rules are simpler and more straightforward and thereby easier to wrap your head around. Adding a facing and arc of fire to the units gives CoH: AtB a more realistic feeling imho.

broken clock wrote:
I don't want a war game that's too simple. I like having a lot of options available to me.

CoH: AtB is not simple but a very flexible gamesystem and both players have lots of options at hand. There is lots of interaction and hardly any downtime for both players.

broken clock wrote:
I'm always a little sad that most of the things I would like my infantry to do I can't do unless I have the right card.

Dont ever play Memoir '44! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Dont ever play Memoir '44!

I bought Memoir '44 to play wargames with less serious gamers and people who would otherwise not enjoy the game. CoH is on its way to my house right now and I cannot wait for it to arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.