United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I stumbled across the game 6x5, a nice abstract print and play game. It looked like it would be fun, so I decided to make a set of hexes for it out of polymer clay. I won't go back over tools and materials in this post, if you need that information check out my prior posts:

* polymer clay track markers for Age of Steam
* polymer clay cubes for Pandemic
* polymer clay Code 777 postmortem
* polymer clay research stations for Pandemic

The simplest way to get consistent results seemed to be to create a hexagonal cookie cutter, so I made one using a Hive hex for reference, creating a cutter roughly one inch on each side.

I used the pasta machine on its thickest setting to create sheets of black, blue, red, and yellow and used the cutter to cut them up. Because of the irregularity of the cutter, I spent some time with each hex evening out the edges a little bit.

They aren't perfect, but they don't have to be. If it really bugged me, I could sand them down. As it is, it plays just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
How thick did you make them?
Do you have a problem with the edges of the tiles curling up a bit after curing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're about an sixteenth of an inch thick, maybe a little thicker. Thicker tiles than that would be more substantial, but I figured these would be thick enough to do the job and they would require less clay.

They didn't curl. In my experience, drooping during baking is a bigger issue with polymer clay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you describe how you made the cutter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lsamadi wrote:
Can you describe how you made the cutter?

I covered this a little bit in my AoS counter post and the cookie cutter tutorials (they explain it better than I can), but here goes.

I took a large disposable aluminium pan and cut the bottom out with some kitchen shears, then I cut long strips from the bottom. I folded each strip in half (and then folded down one of the rough edges for safety, it is easy to cut yourself on that stuff).

This gave me a long strip of medium/heavy aluminium which I then used my hands (or, in the case of some of the other shapes, needle nose plyers) to bend it into the shape I wanted. For the hex cutter I just bent it around a Hive hex and tweaked the details.

After shaping was done, I trimmed off some of the excess material and then slid one end into the other to complete the loop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.