Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually wouldn't have known anything about this if not for the couple of postings on BGG! Personally, it would still be hard for me to get interested in soccer even if the US was successful. I just didn't grow up with it, and am far more interested in football and basketball. When those sports are absent, I resort to NASCAR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an American soccer fan, and it is sad to say this, but I would never have predicted a US win over Brazil. It is so far in the realm of fantasy that I cannot even imagine it.

Then, when the US went up by one, and then up by TWO, I was positively soiling myself (not really) with the possibility that I might be proven wrong. I began to imagine the possibility that the US might beat the best World Cup country to ever grace a pitch, Brazil.

And then, the REAL Brazil came out to play in the second half, and dashed all of my hopes for the US team winning the tournament.

I REALLY wanted the US to win this one, and I have come to really hate (more like, grudgingly respect) Brazil after seeing them knock the US out of the 1994 World Cup. Now, I have another reason to want to see Brazil go down. (Seriously, they are an excellent team, and they deserved the win. Congrats to them.)

I liked Landon Donovan's post match comment: "We’re at the point where we don’t want respect, we want to win."

And I feel the same way. I wanted the US to beat Brazil so badly, and my hopes crumbled before me. If I felt this way, I cannot FATHOM how the US players felt. This was a big deal for American soccer, and we came in second. Not too shabby, but nobody remembers second place.

Here's hoping that the lessons learned with this tournament will translate to a better tournament next year when the US battles for the World Cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Who'd have thunk it - maybe this will actually turn a few more Americans onto the world's game?

I don't think so.

From what I know of soccer it's a complex game that requires some depth of understanding and a long association with it's play in order to be fully enjoyed. We already have a few complicated sports... baseball, football and basketball. In addition, those three are embedded in our culture from early youth just like soccer is in Europe and elsewhere.

Since we don't grow up playing it to any large degree our national "team sports" psyche doesn't mesh as well as it does with those we play as children.

Just my opinion of course... but the failure of the World American-style Football league is an example of how difficult it is to transplant a sport into a culture already taken with other popular sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...unless the kids play it. And since soccer has already overtaken hockey as the most-played sport by kids in Canada, I don't think it's a stretch to say the same could happen in the US to baseball or football. I suspect more kids already play soccer than american football.

It'll take time, but I suspect soccer will likely join the big 4 as a major, broadcast spectator sport in the US within 2 or 3 generations. Faster if the US makes a WC final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well DW...I would say a "few" is a fair call...had he said "a lot" I could see the point

As to comparing soccer in the USA with Gridiron in Europe...I think that is a crazy long bow! Soccer is a world sport where as gridiron (as all non yanks call it) is US only (well...that Canadian version as well). Your general argument is fair enough...but asking the US to play with the world instead of asking Europe to play our game is entirely different.

Now...when do we see a US Cricket team?!? What about just for 20/20?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
We won't even switch to the world's standard units of measure! What makes you think we would participate in the world's sport?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DWTripp wrote:
Since we don't grow up playing it to any large degree our national "team sports" psyche doesn't mesh as well as it does with those we play as children.

I grew up playing it. But that's just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think this could double the number of soccer fans in the U.S. So we would have 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
...unless the kids play it. And since soccer has already overtaken hockey as the most-played sport by kids in Canada, I don't think it's a stretch to say the same could happen in the US to baseball or football. I suspect more kids already play soccer than american football.

It'll take time, but I suspect soccer will likely join the big 4 as a major, broadcast spectator sport in the US within 2 or 3 generations. Faster if the US makes a WC final.

Probably - however I think that the competitiveness (and organisation) of the domestic leagues in the US would need to be improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ozjesting wrote:

Well there is one - they just aren't that good.
Seriously they have been beset with problems at the organisational level leading to expulsion and suspension. Although they have now got those sorted out and played in the World Cricket League Division 5.

But I would have thought that 20/20 would be the form of the game which would most engage the American public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
Australia
Ashburton
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I disagree with the title of this thread. In 2002 the USA made it to the quarter finals of the World cup and were beaten 1-0 by the eventual runner's up Germany. In 2006 the US were knocked out in the group stages in a tough group, but did manage a 1-1 draw against the tournament winners in Italy (boo, hiss, wasn't a penalty against Australia!). They have made it to the past 5 World Cups, so suddenly good when they win 2 games in the Confederations Cup is a bit harsh. Wow I never thought I would come to the defence of US soccer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I didn't realize NZ was champion of its league. Good on us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to BBC Radio Five Live most days, which is the main sports radio channel in the UK. Not _ a _ word. Not a dickey bird, no mention of the tournament, the cup, the results, nothing. Wouldn't have known it was on but for Chit Chat. It is Wimbledon here now, but even so, Five Live is football bloody mad, any excuse to mention football.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I listen to BBC Radio Five Live most days, which is the main sports radio channel in the UK. Not _ a _ word.

England wasn't in the Confederations Cup so Five Live is not interested. Simple as that. Maybe if Wimbledon had not been on at the same time and Andy Murray had been knocked out earlier they might have given a little exposure to the Confederations Cup.

I bet talkSPORT voted Steven Gerrard as their player of the tournament, though.

I'm not sure that was the case. Every game was carried live on TV and online. I'm not sure why it was so low-key on Five Live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Technicalities... let's just say we're one of the top 6 in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If Nascar can be popular, than anything can!wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
So now that the US is good at it, does that mean we can actually call it Soccer now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I played it for a couple of seasons too. That was thirty years ago, and it was "the fastest growing sport in the US" back then.

All of us Gen-X'ers were supposed to be die-hard soccer fans by now.

I'm not, and I don't know anybody here who is, despite living in the DC area where we had a multiple championship MLS team at a time when all of our other sports teams sucked. Still, it hasn't taken root.

I've got nothing against soccer, but I'm with Tripp: it's going to take a long, long time before it joins American Football, Baseball, Basketball or Hockey as one of the major sports. NASCAR, which I have my doubts as to whether it's a "sport," has gained much more traction in the same thirty years that soccer was supposed to have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Majik Mouse
United States
Tuscaloosa
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Love and Peace from the MajikMouse!
mbmbmbmbmb
That was an incredible game. I was glued to the TV, really hoping for a shock result, although as soon as the first half started and the goal went in, it seemed pretty clear that things were going to go Brazil's way (particularly because we were clearly wearing out and Bradley is so slow to go to his bench).

Maksimov wrote:

Judging by what I've read, USA did have a football league with good attendances in the late '70s(average attendances of over 30000) and I think the record attendance for a soccer match in USA is still from those years when almost 80000 people attended a play off match. Apparently they tried to expand the league too much and weren't very good with money and marketing so eventually it died. I think the main attractions in those days were famous foreign players that came to play the last years of their career in USA. Players like Pele, Best, Beckenbauer and so on.

I think a similiar kind of thing has happened with MLS on a smaller scale with some good quality European and South American players coming in but apart from Beckham, they haven't been the high profile players like Pele and Beckenbauer were. But now the quality of homegrown players is much better, probably the best it has ever been and although many of the players in the national team play their club football in Europe, there were players from MLS as well in the squad that played in the Confederations Cup. It's a problem for any league when the best local players leave to play in the big European leagues like Serie A, English Premiership, La Liga and Bundesliga, but it seems the quality of MLS is going up as well, so I think the future of US Soccer is looking bright. For some reason team USA seems to do better when the World Cup is not played in Europe, so next year could be a good year for team USA.

My understanding of the NASL is that it was pretty much one team (The New York Cosmos) with an insanely high budget and attendance and with all the star power, playing against other teams that often could not compete, on or off the field. I do not think that the other teams had attendances anywhere near that figure.

Your are right about the MLS though. Their single-entity structure (however un-American) has really helped them spread the wealth (both real wealth and talent) and has made for an entertaining and healthy league. It is not the buying of Beckhams (unmitigated disaster that that has been) that will help the league; it is the nurturing of homegrown talent, even if that talent has to then be sold to teams overseas for the next decade or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that good. We blew a 2 goal lead. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
captkayoss wrote:
Leezer wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I played it for a couple of seasons too. That was thirty years ago, and it was "the fastest growing sport in the US" back then.

All of us Gen-X'ers were supposed to be die-hard soccer fans by now.

I'm not, and I don't know anybody here who is, despite living in the DC area where we had a multiple championship MLS team at a time when all of our other sports teams sucked. Still, it hasn't taken root.

I've got nothing against soccer, but I'm with Tripp: it's going to take a long, long time before it joins American Football, Baseball, Basketball or Hockey as one of the major sports. NASCAR, which I have my doubts as to whether it's a "sport," has gained much more traction in the same thirty years that soccer was supposed to have done.

Hockey isn't a major sport either... Soccer is a second tier sport in the US. That isn't necessarily pejorative. So long as the MLS doesn't try and do what the NHL did and try and MAKE it a major sport. They need to concentrate on keeping the sport growing at a modest rate and targeting the right audience. If they do that they'll be fine. Just take everything Gary Bettman has done in the NHL and do the exact opposite. GB wanted the NHL to be the NBA and it simply is just never, ever going to be equivalent to the NBA. So again, concentrate on making it the best NHL/MLS it can be and don't TRY to compete with MLB, NFL, NBA. So far the MLS has done a decent job of that.

One thing that might make life harder for the MLS is if we do ever adopted the international schedule, which as a soccer fan I would love, but then it would be more directly competing with the NFL, and that could be rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
vandemonium wrote:
Not that good. We blew a 2 goal lead. cry

This was all my fault. I forgot to knock on wood. I was talking to a friend at half time and made the mistake of saying, "If the United States can score 2 goals in a half, Brazil can certainly score 3."

Sorry I jinxed us America. I won't let it happen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
ozjesting wrote:
Well DW...I would say a "few" is a fair call...had he said "a lot" I could see the point

As to comparing soccer in the USA with Gridiron in Europe...I think that is a crazy long bow! Soccer is a world sport where as gridiron (as all non yanks call it) is US only (well...that Canadian version as well). Your general argument is fair enough...but asking the US to play with the world instead of asking Europe to play our game is entirely different.

I've actually become one of the "few".

The NFL is going to become a joke like MLB is now, once the salary cap is removed in 2010. That's perfect for me, as I have sent back my stock in the Green Bay Packers, and am slowly transitioning away from pro-american sports. Green Bay will be gone as a franchise in less than 10 years in my estimation...

I don't buy the lie of the corporate machines we call sports in the USA anymore. Not that corruption doesn't exist in sports elsewhere, but at least if I watch the world cup I can enjoy the political matchups as well as the sport of it. In the USA, the underdog is now the fan.

The ego of the american athlete is quite distasteful, and the lack of concern for the fans by owners of the teams and the commissioners of the leagues is the entropy which has eroded my interest.

So count me as one of the "few", as I will certainly like cheering for the underdog USA squad in this one. I cheer for the underdog everywhere else as well... in a matter of speaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends like to call it commieball. I don't remember how exactly it started (obviously a cheap jab at Europeans or something), but that's what we all call it out of habit now...I just gave in and went along with the joke.

Anyone telling you (still, here in the year 2009) that soccer is the "next big thing" in the USA should be regarded with deep suspicion and probably just reported to the authorities out of an overabundance of caution.

It will plod along into perpetuity as a small, successful niche sport in this country, no more and no less. Our national side won't be winning any major tournaments in the next few attempts, no matter what hopes and dreams the USSF tries to peddle. Major one-off wins against superior opposition will happen every few years to give us a chance for some self-backpatting (and we should be proud of those), but in general, high level international competition will tend to expose the appalling technical shortcomings of our players (the fruits of our method of instruction in this country), managerial naivete, and overall lack of tactical nous I have grown used to over the years.

We've had a couple genuine article players come down the pike (mostly goalkeepers), but for a nation of 300+ million people, I'm still kind of surprised we haven't managed to assemble a better team by now, even out of dumb luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the US, soccer is a victim of its format. No stoppages of play means no commercials. No commercials means no TV contracts. No TV contracts means no disgusting abundance of money to make even marginal players filthy rich. No promise of riches means a significant portion of athletes turn to other sports when they start transitioning from thinking about little league to thinking about careers.

As for the championship game, I think the US showed it has a lot of potential and at the same time has a lot of inexperience. The US game plan worked wonderfully to counteract Brazil's perimeter attack in the first 45 minutes. Brazil changed to attack the center after the half and were rewarded. The US coach didn't seem to know what to do in response as I noticed no adjustment in the defense after it became apparent what Brazil was doing.

At least we humiliated Spain.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.