Popular Tags: [View All]
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, on the 28th, 95 years ago, Gavrilo Princip, a Serbian nationalist aimed his pistol at a passing car and killed the heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

With this act, the First World War began. What followed was the most bloody conflict the world had ever witnessed, where thousands upon thousands of men fell daily.

As trenchwarfare evolved, so did the weapons to deal horrific death, from mustard gas to artillery shells that could literally atomize you. Men died for not a mile of territory but for an inch.

But the most heartbreaking fact of this war is that it directly lead to the most devastating conflict humanity has ever witnessed, WWII.

Those that have fallen and are forgotten, those that sleep in the fields of France and so many other battlefronts, those that stand quiet with a stone above them forcing those passing by not to forget them, we must remember.

"My name is Francis Tolliver, in Liverpool I dwell
Each Christmas come since World War I I've learned its lessons well
That the ones who call the shots won't be among the dead and lame
And on each end of the rifle we're the same."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.