Subject: Question about Torturer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cheung
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I think you can discard entire hand if someone play 3 Torturer.

BTW, you can still buy a Copper or Curse during your next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Yackel
United States
Vadnais Heights
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
Hi, just a quick question. What happens if the Torturer causes someone to lose his entire hand (discard all cards, since he/she has 1-2 left)? Will the hand be refilled to 5 or is it going to have to be a skip? Thanks.

You won't skip your turn, but the only thing you can do is buy a curse or a copper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have no cards in hand, and someone plays a Torturer, you can still choose the "discard 2" option rather than the "gain a Curse" option. Does that answer the question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your hand is refilled to 5 at the end of the turn. Losing your hand doesn't make you refill it automatically- so on your turn, you don't have any Actions, have one Buy with 0 Coins to purchase a Curse or Copper if you wanted, and then draw a new five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
Hi, just a quick question. What happens if the Torturer causes someone to lose his entire hand

Well, he's still got your other hand and both feet to work on.

(Sorry. Someone had to do it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
If you have no cards in hand, and someone plays a Torturer, you can still choose the "discard 2" option rather than the "gain a Curse" option. Does that answer the question?

Just as you can choose to take a curse from an empty pile, I believe you can choose to discard 2 cards when you cannot meet that requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Just as you can choose to take a curse from an empty pile, I believe you can choose to discard 2 cards when you cannot meet that requirement.

Isn't that exactly what I said?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Though, I'm fairly sure I have the answer to this.

If you run out of a hand and somebody plays Masquerade, I assume you receive a card but don't pass a card.

Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

byronczimmer wrote:

DaviddesJ wrote:
Isn't that EXACTLY what I said?

Nope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mfl134 wrote:
Though, I'm fairly sure I have the answer to this.

If you run out of a hand and somebody plays Masquerade, I assume you receive a card but don't pass a card.

Is that correct?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyboy157 wrote:
Nope!

OK, I must be missing something. What is the difference between, "If you have no cards in hand, and someone plays a Torturer, you can still choose the discard 2 option rather than the gain a Curse option," and, "Just as you can choose to take a curse from an empty pile, I believe you can choose to discard 2 cards when you cannot meet that requirement."

They still seem to be saying exactly the same thing to me. If you explain the difference then I'll learn something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means that they aren't "exactly", as in word for word, the same. As far as meaning is concerned, they appear to be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
monkeyboy157 wrote:
Nope!

OK, I must be missing something. What is the difference between, "If you have no cards in hand, and someone plays a Torturer, you can still choose the discard 2 option rather than the gain a Curse option," and, "Just as you can choose to take a curse from an empty pile, I believe you can choose to discard 2 cards when you cannot meet that requirement."

They still seem to be saying exactly the same thing to me. If you explain the difference then I'll learn something.

It was my impression that it was a "they don't match word-for-word" post, but upon reflection, I believe the two statments do have different meanings. The latter case covers the situation where a player has one card in hand, while the former case explicitly does not. If you have one card in hand, you can choose "discard 2 cards" even though you can't discard two cards. You discard one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
... If you explain the difference then I'll learn something.

I highly doubt that. However, I'll explain anyway, his answer was more complete because he mentioned that you may also choose to take a curse even though the curse pile is empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.