Subject: Settlers of Catan - 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
My bro in law has given me an unused Settlers of Catan game. It says on the side it's for 3 - 4 players. Can this be played just with 2?

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be, but you'll find there will be little trading, and you'll have a lot of room on the board. A friend of mine prefers it this way because she's very non-competitive, but for the most part I wouldn't recommend it, except for learning how to play, which it would be quite suitable for.

I say give it a try and see what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and No...

I played it with just one buddy - But we both played two colors each - and trying to gain as many points total as possible (this means that you cannot neglect one color and boost only the other). Ending the game when one color gains the standart points.

But to play only with two colors is very boring... there is enough space on the map to stay out of each others way for most of the game.

So the two color per player version is better.

(When it comes to trading however... this variant depends greatly on the level of friendliness of your opponent - but at least you can also trade between your both hands).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Mofman wrote:
Hi all,
My bro in law has given me an unused Settlers of Catan game. It says on the side it's for 3 - 4 players. Can this be played just with 2?

Many thanks

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the 'geek!

If you go to the game's page here, you can:

Scroll down to the Forum section, click on "Variants" and find several posts about 2-player rules.

Or scroll down to the Files section and have a browse for downloadable sets of rules for two.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give this link a read: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/60692/page/1

There's a link to a 2 player variant there. Haven't read it myself, so I can't comment, but it should point you in the right direction.

For myself, I see Settlers as a multi-player game; the trading and negotiating are integral to the design, so I imagine there would have to be some large trade-offs when working out a 2 player design. However, if getting enough opponents to play with you is an issue, it's certainly a viable option as I'd rather play than not. Not sure if it's possible to do solo, though...that might be really pushing the limits of the design. I'd be interested in what you find out, though. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoid---we tried many of the two player variants and none of them really worked for us. It's just hard to scale down what makes it a good multiplayer game to accommodate two. We strongly prefer Catan Card Game if there's going to be just two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mofman wrote:
Hi all,

Many thanks

As others have pointed out, it's physically possible to play it, but not very fun. Some unluck die rolls early in the game can greatly skew it toward one player.

On the other hand, this Settlers game - Catan Card Game - was specifically designed for two players, feels a lot like the original and is expandable, and plays very well. I actually prefer it to the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PThron wrote:

I haven't played it in a few years now, but I used to enjoy playing Nick Borko's two-player variant. The trading falls by the wayside, but the game still works well enough, otherwise.

It's not as competitive as playing with three or four players, but the two-player variant works well for some light gaming fun.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Scott
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
PThron wrote:

I haven't played it in a few years now, but I used to enjoy playing Nick Borko's two-player variant. The trading falls by the wayside, but the game still works well enough, otherwise.

It's not as competitive as playing with three or four players, but the two-player variant works well for some light gaming fun.

Chris

Seconded! My wife and I have played Nick's variant also and it is fun. You have a smaller play area which helps prevent some of the urban sprawl on the normal board when only playing with two people. I recommend giving it a shot.

--tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiance and I often play Settlers as just a two player game. We don't make any adjustments. We play one color each to ten victory points. True, there isn't much in the way of trading, and there rarely any question about where the robber is going next. However, once the board is set up, we find we can play very quickly. A game usually takes only 30-45 minutes. We often just leave the board setup and play 2-3 games in a row. No, it's not the greatest two player game, but it can still be enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this question in the Settlers forum a little while ago, and Brian (ColtsFan76) pointed me in the direction of this collection of reviews that he had put together:

Romantic Island Get-away -A Review of some 2-player Variants

I don't think there is one particular two-player variant that stands head-and-shoulders above the rest, so Brian's reviews are really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well what a response from everyone!
Thanks to all who have replied, I shall certainly look into ALL of the options.

Again, many many thanks!
Regards
Mof

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.