Mike Villa
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card: Shanty Town
Type: Action
Cost: 3
Text: +2 Actions. Reveal your hand. If you have no actions cards in hand, +2 Cards.

New player question....just picked up Intrigue yesterday at Origins here in Ohio, dove right in and played a couple of games with friends last night...following question arose.

When Shanty Town is played can you:

a) reveal hand of no actions, draw 2 cards and then play an action if you draw one?

b) play 1 additional action, reveal hand of no actions, draw 2 cards and play an additional action if you draw one?

Rules seemed to indicate that as long as you're in your action phase (ie, not moved to buy) that you can play actions whenever you have them in hand. Our initial experience with the original card set and rules (only 4 games, but hey have to start somewhere) indicated that you follow the instructions on the card from the top down....and if there is something you can't perform (ie, playing two additional action cards) then you skip it and loose the opportunity to play more actions with the cards you draw.

Please help...confused, but love the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN TODD JENSEN
United States
CLYMAN
WI
flag msg tools
Ask me about it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play a card, you must execute every instruction on it before playing another card. Therefore, if you do not reveal an actionless hand and draw 2 cards before playing another card, you forfeit that opportunity. So, in short, you cannot do b).

Side note: +X Actions does not mean "Play X Actions immedately." It means "Play X additional Actions after you are done resolving the card you are playing now." Think of it as adding two to your action pool.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
a.) Yes. You always get the +2 actions, but if you have no action cards, you get +2 cards when you play shanty town.

b.) No. You always fully resolve each action card before playing another. So, you always get +2 actions, and then, if you have no action cards left, you get +2 cards, otherwise, it's just +2 actions, and then you move on to playing your other actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Villa
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, that helps out alot....The demo we played was very vanilla and of course we ran into all kinds of situations like this when playing a live game.

Thank you for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.