Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I am sure there are various ways to do this but I thought I would share mine as it has worked very well for me. I needed a board where I could easily modify the lines for the various spaces without interfering with the overall shape of my play space. I started with some foam core board, black duct tape,spray glue, Clear mylar(any clear plastic sheet will do) and poster board.

I drew my board base first(in my case a rather ugly free handed world map) on the poster board. It took 2 sheets to get in all I needed. I measured where the poster board would fold and carefully cut my image there. I wanted to avoid a bended seam so the board hinges at this cut saving wear and tear on the poster board. I set this aside for now and got my foam board out.

I cut my foam board so I had to matching pieces to form 2 halves of my board. I laid then tight together where I wanted my seam and taped down the inside careful to not overlap. I then folded it tightly together and ran tape along the outer seam, starting on the small edges then folding over along the back side. This gave me a strong hinge for the board.

I took my poster board and glued it to the foam board I created. I then taped down the edges 1/4 in all the way around with my black tape, careful to avoid taping my hinge open or closed. the prevents the edges from peeling up. This is all old hat for most I am sure. On to the part that I found real handy.

I cut 4 small triangles out of poster board an Inch from the center tip to the base. You will have to find whats a good size based on your board. Lay a triangle into the corner of your board and carefully run a piece of tape diagonally to hold it down forming a small pocket at the corner. Next cut your plastic to fit the board halves. Use 2 pieces don't try to bend the plastic it will look and behave badly.

Tuck the outer 2 corners of the plastic into the pockets you made in the corners. I find static holds the inner edges in place fine. Now you should have your map image with a clear layer of plastic overlaid. Draw in your spaces with grease pencil. Now you can erase and redraw on a whim with just a paper towel and no need to remake the entire board or graphics. While this may be unneeded on some designs I found it invaluable for my own. Images are here.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43576

I am sorry I don't have in progress images or if my directions are lacking and would be happy to clarify if someone wishes. Hope this helps anyone facing such an issue in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.