Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Traders of Genoa or Chinatown? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I am glad that Johnny Jaws is my friend.
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I know who I am. I'm the ant playin' the ant, disguised as another ant!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow Geeks, I need your input.

I have been contemplating acquiring Traders of Genoa or Chinatown. At this point I have not played, nor has anyone in my group played a trading game other than Settlers. A couple of us have played Caylus online (I know it is not a trading game but it has several mechanics as I understand Genoa does).

My group really likes player interaction as they love co-op/team games like Shadows over Camelot, and more recently Battle Star Galactica.

So, which of the two should I get, or should I own both buying which one first?

I would like feedback from those of you who have played both games at least twice each, with a decent understanding of the games.

Please comment on...

1. Interaction.
2. Brain burn level.
3. Time to play.
4. Screwage.
5. Fun factor.
6. Misc. comments and recommendations.

Thank you.

Slate43

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the primary difference in my book.

In Genoa there is an auctioneer and he can field any offer made through him in a nice orderly fashion.

In Chinatown, the trade phase begins and this huge chaotic whirlwind of open trading with whomever you please. Where being the loudest, fastest, pushiest, wheeler and dealer wins all the auctions. If you're timid or soft spoken, you might as well give it up. It's like being on the floor of the NY Stock Exchange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ToG is a more complex trading game, Chinatown is simpler.

Both have a high level of interaction, ToG is more brain burner and takes more time to play, both allow for lots of screwage, both are very fun.

So if you want a negotiations game with structure, get ToG, if you want a more free-form type of negotiation, get Chinatown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've only played TRaders of Genoa once because I have no interest in playing it again. I vastly prefer CHinatown over ToG.

ToG struck me as a very gamey exercise that lacked any sort of thematic or mechanical sense. Each turn starts with one player rolling two dice to find coordinates for the "trade tower," which is a stack of disks which are spread out from square to square, indicating what sorts of actions can take place. It also dictates which buildings can be bought, except buildings you buy can easily be purchaes by someone else. Noone in our group cared for it and it is on my trade list.

Chinatow, OTOH, has a fun, modern, theme with cleaner mechanics. The resources you trade for are more limited, making it easier to calculate values. And the game moves along quite smoothly in a consistent turn and phase structure.

Obviously then, I would give Chinatown the nod.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is timely as I've just written the following -

The Traders of Genoa - A Detailed Review

Having played and liked them both, I have no qualms in stating that The Traders of Genoa is the more solid game design. Chinatown apparently can suffer in the end game as experienced players can calculate the potential values of trades being made and identify if they are good or not. This is not as easily possible and therefore makes it the better game right up to the endgame.

Traders also has much more going on. My review spells it all out. I don't have enough experience with Chinatown to comment further on that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This seems like a good 'bump'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.